High Cost of Entry Fees

High cost of entry fees….for a carriage driving horse that will typically compete in 12 classes at the 2011 New England Morgan Show, its going to cost approximately $480 per hour of class driving time to compete just to cover his stall fee and entry fees.

10 Responses to High Cost of Entry Fees

1. Vintage_Rider says:

ROFL… at you… WITH you… if I looked at it that way I would shoot myself in the head. My husband already reminds me of the “trip” cost, “Soooo, this weekend was $500″… etc.

2. Vintage_Rider says:

*NOT at you

3. jmorse says:

…and that doesn’t include a tack stall, travel costs to get to the show and back home, lodging for a week away from home or 3 meals a day for a week…..I don’t think I want to know.

4. Jennifer says:

Better off not knowing!! Besides you only live once and can’t take with you.

5. jmorse says:

BTW, by way of comparison, I am taking the same horse to an open carriage show (2nd most prestigious show in the East after Walnut Hill) in a couple weeks and for the same stabling, better facilities (by far), better competition, same quality of judges, same classes, the cost per hour of competition time is $166 per hour ….65% less than NEMHS!….so it can be done.

6. RaeOfLight says:

My first reaction is that sponsorships may have a big affect on the difference in cost. And perhaps the size of the show (more participants = more revenue = less cost per individual). I can’t remember if the sponsorship news I saw a few months ago was general sponsorship of the registry, or sponsorship of GN. But now that that door has been opened hopefully we will see more of it in the Morgan world and show costs will adjust accordingly.

7. Vintage_Rider says:

I doubt there are many shows that rival NE for number of exhibitors for sure. There are a few shows that are very expensive IMO to show. NE being one of them.

8. jmorse says:

Mass Morgan had close to the same number of horses as NE last year. It is the 3rd largest Morgan show in the world. It is much larger than all the Regional shows except NE.
    BTW, here’s some data on attendance at our Regional Morgan Shows:

NE- high 831 in07 to low of 600 last year – total from 01 thru 10 = 7159.
    NY – high 376 in 09 – low 226 in 03 total from 01 thru 10 = 3323
    Gold Cup – high 370 in 01 and low of 234 in 09 total 10-10 = 2875
    Citrus Cup – high 155 in 03 – low 78 in 10 total of 1184 horses from 01 thru 10
    Jubilee – high 347 in 07 and low – 226 in 10 total 01 thru 10 = 2902.
    Wheat State – high 165-01 low – 108 in 07 total 01 thru 10 = 1178 04 nos are missing
    Morgan Medallion – high 363 in 02 ; low – 198 in 10 total 10 thru 10=2101.
    Far West – high 322 in 01 and 02 – low 116 in 10 totals 01 thru 10 = 2324
    Circle J – high 217 in 01 and low 98 in 10 totals 01 thru 10 = 1515.
    So. States – high 247 in 08 and low – 200 in 06 and 10 total 01 thru 10 = 2223.

9. jmorse says:

Rae of Light: The formula you offer: more participants = more revenue = less cost per individual only works up to a point. It is offset by the increase in the costs to do some things. More horses = more personnel, for instance. Mass Morgan needs three office secretaries, three main ring ringmasters and one for carriage and dressage. More temporary stabling in most cases. Most shows lose $$ on every temp stall because the costs to rent and set them is higher than the fees brought in by the horses that occupy them.

10. luvmymorgan says:

Has anyone else noticed that 7 of the 10 shows the lowest entry numbers were in 2010 and 2 were in 09? This is a very disturbing trend, that I think its safe to say due to the economy. I myself am not attending any Morgan shows this year other than Grand Nationals. I am showing an open jumper this year and do not have to qualify. Neither of the 2 regionals closest to me (Gold Cup and Jubilee) offer Jumper classes. Yes, I know they offer working hunter, but just because there are jumps do not make them the same. I’ve had that conversation with both shows. “But we HAVE jumping classes” Last year Jubilee did have jumper classes. I understand the cost of having the over fences division, but if you have working hunter it is not much more difficult to add the jumpers. Change the course, tighten it up, and if possible add the flags or numbers.

An easy explanation as to the difference between working hunters and jumpers it is like the difference between a classic pleasure horse and a park horse. Similar equipment and attire but a different approach. Working hunters are judged on manners, way of going, strides between fences, leads, willingness and form over fences and a jog order for soundness prior to pinning. Jumpers…. clean round and being within the time limit. Form, leads, strides and soundness DO NOT count. Fastest time and least amount of faults (down rails, refusals and time penalties) are what wins. Boots and martingales are not permitted in working hunter but are in jumper. Just because we jump over fences does not make us all the same.

I recently attended a schooling show that had an amazing array of fences, I had a stall for the night, had an opportunity to school over fences the night before the show. The day of the show I entered a warm up and a class all for less than the price of a STALL at a Morgan Show! I was even able to stay at a friends house less than 10 minutes away. I can attend 5 of these shows, get more ring time and assistance from other exhibitors and trainers there, than I can if I attended 1 Morgan show that had a jumper division. I don’t have to take off work, buy a hotel room or drive over 500 miles one way. I would have attended Gold Cup and Jubilee both had they offered a jumper division. The ironic part is while I was at the schooling show I met another Morgan jumper who would have attended both of those as well had they had jumpers. He said he is going to do the same as I am this year. I wonder how many others out there are doing the same.

This is why I won’t be attending any Morgan shows this year, unless I go as a spectator. Last year, when he was a hunter pleasure horse, we attended 4 Morgan shows. Including one with a working hunter division and second horse.