Medal Class age upped to 21

Saw this on facebook (thanks Stacy).  I gotta go to the rues forums more often.

11 Responses to Medal Class age upped to 21

1. Carley says:

this is so cool! just wish it would have happened a few years ago!

2. StacyGRS says:

Was at a show, so didn’t see this. Glad to have informed you;)
    Not to restart the argument from fb but, I don’t this was/ is something I’d have voted for. So, I agree…can’t vote if you don’t go!
    Stacy

3. leslie says:

Does anyone know why the change? I thought I had seen some reference to some other USEF rule change that impacted the Morgan eq age, but it’s not there in the AMHA release, so maybe I dreamed it.

I’m for it, I guess, but I am curious as to where it came from. From my admittedly out-of-the-loop perspective, this seems like it came out of left field.

4. jessica says:

Hi Leslie, the change was something that was put forth and championed by the AMHA Youth Council.

5. Trisha says:

Whenever I heard mention of changing the age for the medal classes the reasoning was because Youth of the year is 21 and under and those who are no longer junior exhibitors have to do a pattern for the youth of the year, but don’t have any shows to actually practice (and be judged) on their equitation.

Though another positive of changing the age is all those equitation kids that age out and stop showing might have more reason to keep showing throughout college instead of quitting altogether. Could be a good thing for boosting entries in other classes thanks to those extra youth showing in the medal. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’d rather go to a show and be able to enter more than one class.

6. leslie says:

Makes sense, although I’d love to see adult equitation become more of a thing on the Morgan circuit so that those of us past 21 could do it, too. Seems like there aren’t enough interested amateur adults to support it, though.

7. oklunn says:

I agree with Leslie, I would like to see adult equitation classes become more of a familiar sight at the Morgan shows. We attend a number of Saddlebred shows that have the adult eq classes and my older adult riders love showing in those classes…can someone tell me why we dont have or offer these classes?
    ~Erin~

8. mbk says:

The WNY Morgan Show in May 27-29, 2011 in Hamburg offers one (adult Eq.) and has for the last 5 yrs. or so. I have to say It has been well filled almost every year!!!

If you all can come and join us. http://www.wnymorganshow.com

Mike

9. Nissequogue says:

Actually, NYSMHS has two shows among their sponsored events that offer an Adult Equitation Class; WNY, as previously mentioned, and CNY Morgan; Class 82 Adult Equitation – All Seats. CNY Morgan, June 11-12, 2011, Chemung County Fairgrounds, Horseheads, NY, easily accessed from I-86

10. leslie says:

Guess it’s time to move to NY!

Morab Nationals here in Kentucky has a few adult eq classes, but they’re always scratched because no one enters. I had planned to go in one of them last time I went, but there were zero entries and I couldn’t stomach paying money to ride around in the arena by myself.