Back in the ring….

So, after ten years I have decided to get back into the A Rated Morgan ring….riding an EP horse instead of the hunters I have ridden my entire life! So…I need advice…lots and lots of advice….from what to wear, to presentation to what division my boy would do best in, to what the judges are looking for…basically, I do not want ot look like the idiot that I am, buying a hot, green EP horse on payments not really having a clue as to what I am doing…he is a lovely boy though!

8 Responses to Back in the ring….

1. barice-j0-1 says:

Don’ know your size, etc., but you may want to contact me, I’m getting out of the horses and have alot of tack, clothing, etc. that I just put on the market for sale. excellent quality and condition.

2. emmy says:

I don’t have any advice, but I’m in a similar position, so I’m looking forward to seeing responses to your post.

In the meantime, enjoy your new, lovely boy, and take comfort that you’re not the only “idiot” out there! :-)

3. Vintage_Rider says:

Good for you!!!! Can’t offer much advice being a hunter/western rider all my life, except subdued apparel, and personally I would start out in the classic division

4. mikado12 says:

Been there, done that. Find the best trainer and instructor you can. That’s the best advise you will ever get! They know what they’re doing: if they’re good, and you can trust them, it makes it all that much better. Good luck!

5. rodmanstables says:

Congrats on your EP horse, and go have lots of fun! Some things that make a nice picture, in my opinion, are a well-tailored suit and a well-fitted bridle. I think some of the details of a nice turn-out make a big difference. Anyway, good luck and have fun! :)

6. Jan says:

You might want to look over some of the photos from last year’s shows such as OKC to see what people are wearing in the classes you would be riding in.

7. Oakstar says:

I would start by getting a nice suit in a conservative color. It seems like day coats are starting to come back, but a solid color (or slight pinstripe) suit will always be in style. It is much more economical to branch out with a bright vest, shirt, or tie.
    The best advice I ever got for show clothes was to pay good money for something that won’t go out of style and that fits well. Flashy clothes might be out of style in a few seasons.
    I “ditto” the comment about finding a good trainer–and one that you and your horse connect with. Working with the “best” trainer around won’t do you any good if you don’t get along and are miserable with the experience.
    Good luck and have fun!

8. kim viker says:

My advice is: Get ready to spend money…. lots and lots and lots of money. And;
    Enjoy what you are doing; no matter what color the ribbon, or if there even is a ribbon.