buying/selling question…

So, if you all sell a horse out of state, do you expect to pay for it’s shipping papers (health, coggins, brand if applicable, etc, etc) or do you expect the buyer to pay for them? We’ve never had this questioned before, but, when I buy out of state, I expect to pay for all costs associated with shipping (papers included) and when I sell out of state, I expect the buyer to do the same. The only time we expect to pay to ship a horse is if we take it to a sale and then it’s because we still own it when we ship it. Thoughts..??

Stacy

7 Responses to buying/selling question…

1. Jennifer says:

As a buyer I expect to pay for the shipping and travel papers/vet exam, it is part of the cost of buying the horse.

When I gave a horse back to the breeder I also paid for the shipping and the travel papers/vet exam.

If I were selling a horse I would expect the buyer to pay for any prepurchase and post purchase vet exams, including travel papers.

2. mbk says:

Stacy,

I’ve been on both sides of this question, And have done both. I guess it depends on the situation, I will say that in my personal experience it has also depended on the costs involved. In my dealings it has always been the less expensive horses that I was asked to “absorb” the costs…that always struck me as odd.

Seems to me that the customer just wants to “pay” less in total. JMO

That’s a per case basis…I guess.

Mike

3. Vintage_Rider says:

As a buyer, I expect to pay and arrange for shipping.

4. JRT101 says:

In-state, out-of-state, it’s all the same as far as I know. If you buy it, you pay for pre-purchase exam and all that may entail as well as shipping. If you can’t afford the shipping, maybe you can’t afford the horse? Being an East Coaster, there are several lovely WC horses I’d love to own, but the extra cost of shipping limits the geographical shopping distance. Due to this fact, I expect that is why so much buying/selling happens at OKC. You’re already there, and have much broader shopping options and only have to pay shipping from OKC. Seems to be the same argument for attending an auction, might be a shorter (less expensive) shipping bill.

I’m guessing that since people know the industry is hurting, they are just trying to get as much as possible from the buyer. Kind of like asking a home seller to pay for the home buyers closing costs. Probably cheaper than holding the mortgage until the next buyer comes along. Probably cheaper to pay the shipping than the board/training until the next good buyer comes along…a personal decision for each seller.

5. snerland says:

We always pay for the coggins and interstate health exam. If the buyer is out of state, we arrange for the shipping but do not pay for it; however, we keep the sale horse free of charge if shipped within a reasonable time. From the moment the deposit or full amount changes hands, the buyer must insure the horse for full mortality and medical. Our buyer pays for the pre purchase exam but that is all he basically pays for on our end. We also pay for all shots, worming, and we pull the shoes prior to shipping. Sometimes, if the distance is far from us, we meet the buyer half-way on the shipping charges and in some cases, we actually deliver the horse (especially if it is a young one) with the buyer paying for gas only.

6. kim viker says:

The only thing I pay out of pocket for the buyer is the transfer of the papers. We always pay for that and have it signed and ready to go when the shipper arrives or rather just send it in for the buyer. Otherwise the shipping/coggins/health/vet costs are all built into the price of the horse. The buyer pays for these costs.

7. Windenhill says:

I keep a current Coggins on all horses I am currently marketing on my farm. I expect the buyer to pay for health/shipping certificate and pre-purchase exam, as well as arrange for a shipper. I also pay for the transfer of ownership of the horse with AMHA. If I were buying, I would expect to do the same in turn (and perhaps even pay for the Coggins, if the seller didn’t have a current one already in hand).