New Poll: Favorite Disciplines

With a blog title of “Above Level” I’ve often assumed this site would attract a primarily Saddle Seat audience.  I’ve honestly been a bit (pleasantly) surprised by the positive responses to Hunter and Western discussions, and I know we have some dressage and reining riders in our midst.  I’m very interested to see the results of this “get to know you” poll.  I’ve tried to cater a bit to the Saddle Seat audience I assumed I was attracting, but if there are many of you who prefer other disciplines I look forward to branching out, expanding my knowledge and giving you more chances to participate in the discussion.

Did I miss any disciplines?  I sure hope not.

9 Responses to New Poll: Favorite Disciplines

1. lauralin28 says:

Hm, well, I’ve only shown my Morgans in Hunter Pleasure thus far, other than Academy classes years ago, however I do enjoy driving, owned a second level dressage Morgan a few years ago, and am planning on trying out western pleasure. I am not sure what to pick on the poll, so I’m commenting instead.

2. Vintage_Rider says:

Wish I could pick more than one! I’m a multi-dimensional girl!

3. leslie says:

All of the above?

I’m not really sure. I rode saddle seat for most of my life, I show my horse hunter pleasure now, I take hunter/jumper lessons, but if I was in the market for a horse, I’d be looking for a horse I could event at the lowest of the low levels (you forgot eventing!)

This is the Morgan horse show blog, so I think it makes sense to have a saddle seat slant. I do like that the discussion is open to all disciplines and non-show Morgan topics, too.

4. RaeOfLight says:

Yeah, I thought about allowing multiple selections. But from a polling perspective, since each selection is weighted equally that could’ve given me skewed results. I wanted to really learn my audience so I kept it at one selection. If you really want to vote twice you could clear your cookies (depending on your browser the process can be different, but it’s usually in your “Internet Options” somewhere) and vote again.

I have done hardly any showing. So for me it boiled down to the seat I’ve ridden the most in and am most comfortable.

5. jns767 says:

As a kid when I showed a lot of open and 4-H, I took my one Morgan into huntseat, saddleseat AND western classes all at the same show (in retrospect, I have no clue how we both survived, but we did). I even did some speed and action at my equestrian team meets, and let me tell you, that Morgan was always game!

It’s very hard to say what my personal favorite is. I think overall, it would be western pleasure. I love the feeling of a curvy necked, prancy Morgan…plus, I love the bling of the whole western ensemble.

As far as Abovelevel goes, I love the non-saddleseat topics ~ that’s what keeps me coming back ;).

6. Jrchloe says:

Considering you can count the number of saddle seat forums on one hand please continue the saddle seat topics.

7. Janie says:

I’m a Mom who got into this through her daughter. It’s always been hunt seat since she started out in the jumper world. But, we’re looking forward to this year where she’ll show for the first time in Western. It actually doesn’t matter to me what discipline she shows. I love Morgan horses no matter what the discipline.

8. RaeOfLight says:

Jrchloe, if you happen to see this comment I’d love to know what other forums of any sort you’ve found out there. I’ve honestly been winging it with this blog since I took it over last year. I’d love to see what other forums are putting out there, discussing, etc. The only other one I have been to really is trot.org.

9. Jrchloe says:

The only Saddle Seat forums that I am aware of are Trot.org, Modern Saddlebred, and Arabian Breeders Forum. There are Saddle Seat posts on other forums but usually they are just misguided and misinformed debates.