An Analysis of Costs

While we’re talking about showing costs on the Horse Show Troubles thread, a thought occurred to me a few days ago to do a more scientific analysis of current day costs.  I’d really like to take some figures from years past and adjust them for inflation and see if the horse industry is “more expensive” today than it was in years gone by.  The problem is none of that economic data is actually stored anywhere, so I’m asking for help from you guys.  If you know of any figures; sale prices, training fees, show costs, stud fees, etc, from the past I’d appreciate if you could sent that data to me (I’ll need to know a corresponding year or time frame).  Email skirossi@gmail.com or admin@abovelevel.com.  I’ll take the information and adjust for inflation to get the cost in today’s dollars.  For current information I can browse the web.  If I get interesting results I’ll post them here.  For the sake of privacy I won’t publish detailed information unless explicitly given permission, just averages, highs, lows, trends, etc.

7 Responses to An Analysis of Costs

1. Vintage_Rider says:

I know there are probably pack rats like me (until I had to move) that probably have old show programs…..

2. RaeOfLight says:

So interesting… Just did a little preliminary research for this. Taking the numbers I noted in the Horse Show Troubles thread of an average sales price of $200-500 in 1942 translates to about $2500-7000 in today’s dollars. A high sale price of $2300 paid for Upwey King Benn when he was bought by Upwey Farm in 1942 as a 3 year old translates to $30,000, and the stud fee of $25-50 (for Jubilee King at 15 years old in 1942) translates to $350-$700. I’m really excited to see how more data pans out.

3. smskelly says:

Might I suggest comparing (using your dates above) 1942 vehicle and/or house cost as well? I think it would be interesting not only to see what the conversion in price from eg, 1942 $$ to 2010 $$ is, but how the costs of other items are in relation.

4. StacyGRS says:

might also (in case you have tons of spare time:) compare the cost of keeping a horse then and now…as in, cost of hay, vet work, property, etc. If I understand correctly from those that I’ve talked to, the profit margin in training horses has changed dramatically.
    Stacy

5. RaeOfLight says:

I’ll do whatever I can with whatever data I get. I think I have someone who’s even going to try to find some old receipts for show cloths. I might compare to other items, and I know if I get data that’s old enough I’m going to start hitting that time where horses were more of a necessity/way of life. So that could also affect how the data should be translated.

6. cowgirlup23 says:

I think this is a great thing to research, in the past month I have been looking at show costs to goto the show enter, the fees. I think that would be another great analysis, I noticed there are “A” rated shows being put on that are costing the same to goto as a “Regional” show, why is this? I am the president of a morgan organization and looking and I fought when we raised some prices last year at a minimal we are one of the cheapest shows in our region to show at. Fee’s going into a show are becoming outrageous before we even pay for a class fee. I can do some research on this if you would like this incorporated?

7. RaeOfLight says:

Seriously, anything you want to send me, just send it. For all the comments about how this would be an interesting study I’ve only had one person email me anything so far. I know some of you may have to do some digging before you have info to send, but whatever you’ve got, send it.