Pricing Show Horses

I’m curious what opinions are out there as far as how to price a Morgan show horse, what a horse is worth, what you’re willing to pay for a horse? I realize in a lot of ways the answers to each of these questions is probably different. But there are a lot of things to consider when determining this. The horse’s potential, how desperate you are to sell, what someone is actually willing to pay and not to mention the amount of money you have invested.

I was recently involved in a conversation with someone about whether or not to publicize prices. I’ve heard 2 sides of this and they both make sense. For one thing you post a price you’re under a legal obligation to accept that price if offered even if it’s not a home you approve of (not sure what the legalese behind this actually is). But then from a buyer’s perspective, if I see “inquire for price” I’m much more likely to think the horse is out of my price range, or that I might get the run-around from the seller. I’ve been told there is a certain amount of “cloak and dagger” that happens when prices are not posted, but I haven’t done enough shopping myself to experience this.

What are your thoughts on this?

8 Responses to Pricing Show Horses

1. Vintage_Rider says:

I can tell you this much… it may bite a big one, but no matter how much you have into a horse, it will only be worth what the market is willing to pay for it. Period. Certainly, it depends on the horses age, show record, temperament, condition, breeding, soundness, who the trainer has been, and even the sex of the animal.

Remember “asking price” is “asking” for a reason.

The ones IMO that are worth their weight in gold are SAFE, SANE, SOUND, and KNOW THEIR JOB for the little ones starting out.

2. StacyGRS says:

there are a ton of factors in pricing, but what you’ve put into them is not one of them, generally. Usability is huge. The individual itself…conformation, personality, size, talent. Bloodlines, Show record. Age. Issues (soundness issues, needs special care). and the list goes on. I find it very useful to ask myself not what I want for my horse, but what I’d pay for it, or advise a client to pay for it, if I didn’t already have it. Objectivity is very useful here:)
    Stacy

3. RaeOfLight says:

The problem is, even when you’re being objective there are still a variety of ways you can arrive at a price. And different people, all being objective, can come up with different numbers. How do you decide what’s fair, as a seller OR a buyer?

4. smccullo says:

RaeofLight, I think maybe a year ago Playmor Bill posted a description and generalization of price ranges for all the divisions, or at least the saddleseat ones. I don’t know how accurate it is for today’s market, but at the time I thought it was very informative. It did not address the listing of prices for horses in, say, a sale ad – the goods and bads of doing that. I for one like to at least see a price range so I am not unnecessarily drooling at something I could never afford. It also gives me a data point for evaluating my own stock.

Sue

5. Vintage_Rider says:

One day, obviously a day with too much time on my hands, and took all the horses on Morgan Showcase and divided them up by : 2 yr olds, limited to know training, jr horses with more training, and I was looking at hunters and western pl only…. but you can come up with a “norm” with a standard deviation (excuse the statistics language here too) with tremendous outliers- that is, those amazingly over, and those amazingly under… but what it did do for me was to look at the avg. cost and then figure if / what would make me pay more than the going rate….. it was, if nothing else, an interesting exercise.

6. Vintage_Rider says:

sorry *no training

7. Flmorgan says:

I think in todays economy it really depends on how much you want to sell the horse. A really good horse will bring good money but not as much as they would have 5 years ago. Buyers can be pretty choosy now and there are just not many new people getting into horse ownership be it a show horse or just a horse. I think if you took a average of the actual prices the horses are sold for, it would be lower than we would like to believe. Not posting prices leaves the seller alot of room for negotiation.

8. StacyGRS says:

With some comparing of horses on a sale sight like V_R said and some knowledge of the market and that aforementioned objectivity horses are not terribly hard to price. Yes, how badly the owner wants to sell them is a factor. If you have a hard time pricing one, go to a professional that tends to have good sales numbers with similar type horses and ask their opinion. With some pics, a video, and a handful of questions they can probably give you a range.
    Stacy