Eden Farm Update

The Connection has reported an update on the animal rescue involving a number of Morgans from Eden Farm in NY back in March: http://morganconnection.net/latest_announcements.htm If you don’t feel like reading the whole thing, the highlights are that Beth Hoskins is being charged with 10 counts of animal cruelty and it sounds like all horses have been rehabilitated and placed in new homes.

10 counts may seem low, but it explains that the SPCA was advised to focus on the 10 worst cases as examples rather than bring 130 counts (one for each animal) as the paperwork alone would have been extensive. I am curious what they mean though by “rehabilitate”? If it took less than 2 months, then I wonder if the animals were that bad off to begin with. I have a horse here I got last fall who was in pretty bad shape when I got him and I still feel like he’s not to the weight I’d like him to be at.

Does anyone know if breeders or former owners of these animals were able to step in and get their horses back? Or did they all go to new foster homes?

9 Responses to Eden Farm Update

1. Vintage_Rider says:

When they talk about rehabilitating…. much of that is mental, not physical. Many appeared scared to death, and the youngsters didn’t appear to know human contact at all. I can’t find article written by one of the volunteers who were on the scene, but it made me cry. The following is the field report after seizure:

I doubt if they will allow the animals out of their control until after disposition of the cases pending.

2. farmerjoe says:

I have no personal info to reference the condition of the animals at eden farm. But I can say that I have a couple horses – show horses – that have never been abused and I have owned them for more than 10 years and one in particular will bounce off the walls if you go into her stall to quickly and she will lead down the aisle every day snorting with her eyes popping out like she’s never been out before.(and we don’t shake a bag at them in the stall. this is just how they behave – the horse next door quiet as a mouse. all are treated exactly the same way.)

3. leslie says:

I spoke with the Erie Co. SPCA’s spokesperson back when this case first came out. The horses were underweight and many were carrying heavy parasite loads. Several had hoof abscesses. They were left in an apparently unfinished barn with exposed nails and broken beams. Manure was packed solid along the floors and walls and what food and water there was in the barns was contaminated. The horses had manure matted in their coats, manes and tails. This was not a case of horses who were just naturally skittish. These horses were clearly not handled.

I checked the registry database, and unless I’m missing something, she wasn’t registering her foals. In the fluffy Connection article that’s still up on Eden Farm’s website, she lists all these horses she’s bred, but there’s nothing in the registry that shows the crosses she names.

It’s a strangely interesting read in light of current events. http://www.edenfarmliveyourlove.com/interviews.html

The whole story of the rescue is here: http://www.yourspca.org/site/News2?news_iv_ctrl=-1&page=NewsArticle&id=6855

4. morconnect says:

Sorry if it was fluffy to you, we have to print just the facts. focus on the horses, not getting even. Scott

5. RaeOfLight says:

Meh. Maybe a bit fluffy. But I enjoy the farm/horse/person profiles. It’s a way to connect with Morgans outside of my neck of the woods. It’s interesting to read other folks reasons for having their Morgans, what they’re doing with them. Not to mention the historical value these types of articles have through the years.

6. leslie says:

Scott, I was referring to the ’04 interview/profile, not the current article about the rescue operation.

7. morconnect says:

gotcha, mybad

8. bettycollins says:

I was there, the conditions were diplorable & extremely unsanitary. In my more than 30 years of being an equestrian, I’ve never seen anything like this. It truly brought tears to my eyes. I’m just glad I got to work with these mistreated horses for almost 2 months & helped them become horses again. She unfortunately got 40 of them back recently- why & how I have no idea. People are saying because of who her family is & the money that they have- donations, etc to political campaigns, etc.
    She’s going back to civil court on July 29th & the DA urged the SPCA to file an addition 114 animal abuse/cruelty charges which they did that earlier this month. One charge for every animal that was taken, minus a few that were given back to her (cats & dogs). You can go to there web-site and read the whole story http://www.yourspca.org

9. Vintage_Rider says:

Thank you so much for helping out, there are not enough great people in the world. There is another thread in here someplace, and I linked the story in Buffalo news there from I think last Sunday.