Pasture Time

Do any of you with padded Saddle Seat horses turn them out in a pasture during show season? If so how big is the pasture? What kind of leg/foot protection do you use? If you do not turn your horses out for a period during the day what do you do instead?

7 Responses to Pasture Time

1. Trisha says:

We don’t turn them out in a pasture, but depending on the horse, ours with pads are turned out for a little while either in an arena or bullpen with splint and bell boots. That way they can still play but be in a smaller area with less potential obstacles to rip shoes off with.

2. leslie says:

My horse doesn’t wear show shoes, but a friend of mine has a Classic horse with rim pads and he gets a few hours of turnout in a grassy paddock every day, year round, unless the weather is especially bad. In his case, all he does is stand and eat, so there isn’t much risk. He does wear bell boots. I don’t know that she’d keep that routine if he was shod for park, though.

I’ve been at barns that have an outdoor round pen that they use for turnout. That way the horses can get in a good roll and stretch their legs a bit, but they don’t have enough room to actually gallop.

3. RaeOfLight says:

Gosh, I feel like I read a thread on here recently that discussed this a bit. I can’t remember though if it was a new conversation or not cuz I’ve been digging through the archives a bit lately. If I can find it I’ll post a link. In the meantime you might have some luck using the search.

4. alpmorgans says:

My trainer owns a classic horse that I show. and she has a rim pad and she is allowed out in the grass pasture for about 5 hours with the other horse. unless it is muddy. when it is dry she is turned out like normal.

same with my western horse. she has a pad on, and is turn out when it is dry :]

5. RaeOfLight says:

FOUND IT! http://abovelevel.com/2008/08/18/keeping-training-injuries-to-a-minimum/ The original topic was not specifically about turn-out, but the last 5 comments touch on it.

6. jake94305 says:

Yes, I turn mine out. But when it’s muddy they should remain inside as it does pull them off! Every horse needs time outside to be a horse!

Sherry Hannan-Novak

7. Montehorse says:

Yes, my show horse gets turned out for about two hours a day. He has shoes and pads on. He remains inside during bad weather, or if the ground is muddy.

He is an older horse, so it is extremely important for him to be able to move around. Standing for a long period of time is not good for arthritis, circulation, or their joints.