Approximatley how much money does it cost to go to nationals?

I live in the Indiana/michigan/illinois/ohio area. For trailering it it 500-600$ How much approximatley is it? What fees are there? HELP!! haha I don’t know if I am going or not, because of the money. I don’t know even a range on how much it costs. How much did it cost for you, and how much was your trailering?

10 Responses to Approximatley how much money does it cost to go to nationals?

1. Jennifer says:

I would estimate trailering at least $1000-1500. What do you mean by fees? Also, there is more to think about than just cost. I have decided it is not worth the risk to my horse, because of too many stories of colic, viruses, traffic accidents, etc.
    Last year two world champions were lost: Donna Zimmermans driving horse(traffic accident) and CBMF Ruling Class (virus).

2. PlayMorBill says:

Having someone haul your horse to and from OKC will be the most expensive part, but how much depends on who you find to do the hauling. Commercial haulers will be the most expensive ($1,500 – $2,000), while finding an individual who just wants to share trailering expenses can keep the hauling costs as low as $700 (using 2,000 miles as roundtrip distance).

Ask around at the shows you go to this summer and see if you can find someone headed that way who has a open slot and let the negotiations begin.

Your stall and entry fees will be around $400 (or so).

Bedding will run you about $125 for the 10 day span.

Hay and grain, if you purchase it all in OKC, won’t be that expensive, but, if at all possible, I highly suggest hauling your own feed or, at least, hay. Your horse will eat well the entire trip if his menu isn’t being jostled around for 10 days.

Miscelaneous expenses will pile up at least a little. The shopping is so good you’ll find yourself buying something for you and something for your horse.

At a minimum, it will cost around $1,500 for your horse.

As for your expenses, that’s easier to figure for yourself. Travel, lodging and meals will depend in large part on your preferences.

Minimum amount to get you and your horse to the Grand Nationals: $2,500.

Price of competing for a World Championship: Priceless

3. Vintage_Rider says:

I am ASSUMING you are not going with a trainer. If you are attending with a trainer, there are various fees associated, but best to check with them. I usually figure that all told, including trainer fees, it is about a $4 -5,000 show including those fees.

Word of advice… entries close in August, if you even THINK you might be showing, it is far less expensive to enter before the deadline than to pay all the penalty fees for late entry.

4. Jan says:

I’d have to agree with Bill here…the price of competing—-priceless, regardless of the color of the ribbon. But with that being said, OKC is costly in comparison to other shows. There are many ways to cut costs and you have been given a few ideas. There are cheaper hotels and ways to eat on the cheap, if necessary. Plan on doing alot of the work yourself. Camp instead of staying at a hotel. Find other people who want to share expenses. The learning experience is worth alot.

5. alpmorgans says:

i live in ohio and went in 2008, and am going back this year. With fuel costs up, there is no possible way that 500-600 dollars will cover fuel. My trainer charges 800 or 850. not sure which. and that covers fuel alone, split between 8 horses.

You can look up office, class, stall, and etc. fees on the Grand National website.

I went with my parents, but in 2008, after paying for the horse, the show, eating, hotel, travel, and probably something else i cant think of, it was about $5000.

So if you go on the cheap side, after you pay anything, i would bet it wouldn’t be much les than $3500

6. supersiked says:

hey guys so I am going with a trainer, and he is trailering my horse and the cost is 500-600$ and that is the final price its not goin up or down but yeah

7. IED says:

Well, depending on which trainer you go with, your costs will vary… the bigger names tend to charge more, of course, though there are some trainers out there who will do it for considerably less. Plan on day care fees, braiding fees if you’re not doing it yourself (and showing hunt seat), setup fees, coaching fees, tips for grooms, the list goes on. Some of these might be ala carte, dependent on what your trainer allows. Multiply day care costs, coaching fees, etc. by the number of days your horse will be enroute/at OKC. Sometimes barns also charge a bit more in day care etc fees for a big show like OKC so be sure you have that all squared away with your trainer.

Hauling, as mentioned, is a large part of the expense. I am shocked you are getting hauling from a trainer for $500-600. Are you quite sure about that?

All that aside paying for classes/bedding/stalls etc is no tiny fee. When I went on my own for the first time I went sans trainer and paid over $900 in class/stall/bedding fees. That included one horse’s stall, a tack/grooming stall, lots of bedding and I think four or five classes. If you are going with a trainer expect to pay partial expense for grooming stalls/tack stalls/changing stalls/display stalls (you know, where you put the couch and TV, that kinda thing). Most barns that go to OKC do way more to set up at that show than at any other show, and I don’t blame them, but you need to consider that as a client you will be paying for part of that. Also, if you get your classes videod or get photos (and you’ll want them!) that is more money.

There are your personal costs, which are somewhat easy to figure out. Hotel (or camper, or whatever) fees, price of chow on the road (realistically plan to eat out at least a little), price of getting yourself to the show from MI/IL/etc. Plus, don’t forget you will be taking +-14 days off work.

Outside of the show fees themselves, there are other fringe things associated with it… for instance, getting your horse injected before the show, various supplements he might need to ensure he is at his best at the show, having acupuncture or chiropractic work done to loosen him up, possibly changing his shoeing package to make him a bit more competitive, buying new clothes/tack/saddlepads/etc for your appearance in the national ring, etc.

It can all add up to be QUITE pricey, but I think you will find that most people believe that it’s worth it. Nationals is a pretty amazing experience, and like Bill said, the opportunity to compete for a World’s Championship is all but priceless.

8. PlayMorBill says:

Just to clarify, my shared-hauling expense example was 2 horses in a two horse trailer pulled by a 3/4 ton pickup for 1000 miles. Fuel milage would be North of 6 mpg (maybe as high 12 or 14 with some diesels), but we’ll assume the worst hence 6/mpg & $3.00/gallon.

1000 miles / 6mpg = 167 gallons fuel
    167 gallons x $3.00 per gal = $501 one way fuel cost
    $501 x 2 = $1,002 round trip fuel cost
    $1,002 round trip fuel cost / 2 people = $501 each.

This is on the high end. Cost could be as low as $236.65 each (12mpg and $2.85/gal)

Now a couple of notes about trainers and hauling:

Most trainers try to keep hauling expenses as low as they can, dividing the trips expenses by the number of paying customers. They might make a small profit on each trip, but the expense of owning and operating the equipment (especially safe equipment) more then justifies the higher fee.

Some, however, use hauling as a way to make a substantial profit. They use the current rates commercial haulers charge, or just below it. Usually these trainers charge less in other places, so the customer is still paying roughly what others are.

As for sharing the hauling expenses with someone headed that way, make sure the equipment is sound and that it has at least one good spare (preferable 2, both mounted & ready to go).

Trust me, the second spare will save at least $100 on the road. :)

Bill

Note to self: Someday I’ve got to post the ABC’s of Long Distance Hauling.
    You’re horse will trot off the trailer, fresh and raring to go.

b.

9. Vintage_Rider says:

Which leads me to the Curmugen (excuse my spelling) in the MHC. I am not wealthy, or even close. I read somewhere that the average show rider makes less than $35k a year. I was sorrowed to see the paybacks so low at the nationals. It would be very helpful and a definite deal “tip-over” for me. I often joke that if my horse were a QH I would own a truck and trailer as a prize…. yeah, I know, I know.

10. StacyGRS says:

A few thoughts…
    When hauling on a long trip, let me assure you, as I’ve ridden decent distances in both many times, there is a HUGE difference in the comfort level of riding in the back of a 15 horse with a semi and riding in the back of a 2 horse trailer. Short trips, no bog deal, but, if you’re looking at 10 hours or more of standing in one or the other, the semi is ALOT smoother, quieter, and more stable feeling. That said, the trailers alone are about $100K SO…yes, you’ll pay more to ride in one:)
    As for extra stalls, etc at OKC, if you’re not with a larger barn you might try to get together with a friend or 2 and combine extra stalls. To go that whole show and have only 1 extra stall for all of your feed, tack, changing, get ready, horse’s extra blankets, etc,etc can be tough. if you and a friend each get one and share them, it would help. You’re there for a LONG time.
    Trainers do billing all different ways. We do OKC as a package. It includes everything but entries and vet work to get there (coggins, etc). Hauling, layover, bedding, day fees, tack room split, etc is all in there. It makes it a bit easier for people to budget it if they know that number from the beginning of the year.
    Stacy