73 Morgans seized by SPCA in East Aurora, NY

If anyone is in the East Aurora, NY  area contact the SPCA if you are able to help. I am sure they will need financial assistance as well as hay, grain, etc. to take care of this rescue. They may need additional stabling for horses as their facility cannot house this many horses. They also rescued 53 cats. I know the Morgan people are all willing to help and lend a hand in times of crisis and to the best of my knowledge, these were all Morgans.

16 Responses to 73 Morgans seized by SPCA in East Aurora, NY

1. Jennifer says:

Here’s a story on seizure. Sounds like they aren’t starving.

2. leslie says:

Here’s a news video. It doesn’t actually show any of the animals, though.

These are some high-profile horses. What will happen if they decide not to return them to her?

3. RaeOfLight says:

Is it just me, or does this sound fishy to anyone else? The more I read about it the more it just sounds like the perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances for this woman. I know with spring thaw my horses look like mud daubers, SPCA checked out the place in 2008 and found it to be in “excellent” condition. A neighbor unwilling to reveal his identity who says he has called the SPCA multiple times in the past about this woman (sounds more like neighbor feud than concern). Just saying…

Is there anyone on here who lives in the vicinity who could give us more details?

4. Karenm1972 says:

I remember her posting on her Facebook that the neighbor has been an issue.

5. jns767 says:

There is a really awful website that this story landed on too – fuglyblog.com. I just think people jump to conclusions really fast on these types of issues. It sounds bad, yeah, but I’m not about to make assumptions on something I know nothing about.

I do hope that whatever the reason and result, the horses end up okay in the end. It looks like this woman has some really nice horses and that she’s been very involved with the breed for years.

6. RaeOfLight says:

I don’t have a problem with fugly. It’s entertaining, light-hearted, and I agree with the bulk of bad horse practices that she points out. There are a few Morgan folks who have posted some tactful comments over there that shed some more light on the situation.

7. jns767 says:

I shouldn’t have said awful, I just don’t like the torch carrying, band wagon she leads. :)

8. leslie says:

It is strange. But if they were, indeed, in filthy conditions, then the neighbors probably had reasons to be aggravated, even if it was out of concern for their own quality of life rather than the horses’.

I understand unexpected financial hardship, and it’s a terrible climate for selling horses right now, but does anyone know if she was actively trying to downsize the herd to a level that she could manage? I mean, 73 horses???

It’s good that the horses (apparently) were fed and watered, but this just sort of sounds like a classic case of animal hoarding.

9. lauralin28 says:

I doubt that the SPCA would lie about the horses standing in 18 inches of manure, you guys.
    Although it seems there were unfortunate circumstances, I don’t think there is any reason for her to have had 73 horses in the first place, especially with the economy the way it is.

10. Morganmom says:

From her past acknowledgement it was becoming evident that she was on a ‘spree’ to breed Morgans without having the proper facilities. I could not fathom the fact that she now had 73 head in a few short years.
    Doesn’t 73 horses, 50 +cats cause concern? I was also told that she did not believe in worming or vaccinating. Whether this is a hoarding issue or other cause, the animals did indeed suffer from neglect.

Another point, whether well bred or mixed parentage, why should it be different if any animal is being subjected to unhealthy conditions and or suffering?

11. lauralin28 says:

I saw on an update that generally they were, in fact, a couple hundred pounds underweight each.

12. trost says:

Drove past the farm where the Morgans were seized yesterday. Place looked like it had been abandoned for years. Barns had blue tarps all over the place and fencing was broken in many places. I saw the pictures on local TV coverage of the seizure and indeed most of the horses I saw being loaded were very thin. I have lived in this area and have been involved with horses of all breeds in the area for 30 years. All this woman had to do was to put out a plea to horse people in the area for help and it would have been there. Ignoring the problem got her into trouble. Now it is costing the SPCA $30,000 a MONTH to care for these horses. This woman should serve jail time for what she did or did not do!

13. Jill says:

I have been involved in dog raids, as I do dog rescue. It takes an act of congress to get the SPCA to act. I doubt they did this without eons of complaints on the neglect of these animals. On story said it was a year of constant complaints. A child was allowed to live in these conditions. The SPCA has no choice but to involve CPS for the sake of the child.

Kudos to all those horse people that assists in the move of these horses to a place where they are fed, clean, and can survive.

14. Jill says:

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being premium considiton, 1 being half dead, these horses were given barely a 2 by the large animal vet.

15. Vintage_Rider says:

I agree with Jill. It is the most serious of circumstances that cause removal. The SPCA has neither the means, nor motive to take on the expense of so many large animals. Kudos to those that selflessly aided. Many rumors abound, including lack of innocullations, worming, and even the registering of youngsters, an even greater shame as what value has a well bred foal with no pedigree/papers? Where will they end up? Horses bought on “spec” where the legitimate owners are frantic… my heart goes out to all involved. Please read one of the rescuers perspectives available from the Erie County SPCA. I cried along with the rescuers account. God bless them.

16. Vintage_Rider says:

SPCA has released photos from the initial raid. Before the 126 counts have been heard in court, 40 were returned to the farm this past week.