Color Topic

I know at some point, color has been discussed on Above Level, but I’d like to know something. What is everyone’s color preference for our Morgans? This isn’t the most exciting topic, but I’m curious nonetheless. For me, my absolute favorite is a fiery chestnut with some white trim.  Like Nocturnal Flash or Aljaks Double Whammy.  Do you like Bay Morgans? White or no white? Palomino or Buckskin? How about the Grey Morgans? We have so many to choose from these days. I also like the high white on Morgans. Not so sure about full out paint coloring, but high white on the legs and face – - – - so cute!

I don’t mean that any one color is better than another, just what you kind of like as your personal choice. A good Morgan is a good Morgan regardless of color (I do realize) :)

6 Responses to Color Topic

1. RaeOfLight says:

I will try to not get on a soap-box on this one. BUT, the undercurrent of bay preference in this breed bothers me sometimes. Is it just a “rumor”, or is it actually true… or is it only true because of a rumor? There have been some amazing chestnut producers in the breed; Trophy, Fleetwing, Vigilmarch, Rena and Norma to name just a few of the obvious ones.

I personally don’t have a preference on color (although I do like some flashy white), but if by focusing on bays (in my perception) are we by default minimizing the influence of great producing chestnuts such as those mentioned above?

-Erin

2. bluedesiign says:

I have always liked things that are unique. Horses that really catch my eye are usually dark bay, chestnut, or brown with a lot of white. I don’t think that the color makes the horse, unlike many who breed for color believe. I am not opposed of the colorful Morgans though. I think those who are bred for the right reasons, not just color, are very nice.

Before buying the horse I currently have, I had an image in my mind of exactly what I wanted. I have always been more of a mare person than a gelding person, or so I thought. I ended up buying a bright bay gelding with personality to spare. It never works out as you plan, at least for me, but I wouldn’t change a thing he’s my world.

3. empressive says:

Past few weeks I have run into quite a few chestnuts and all with extraordinarily stubborn or resentful natures. Flighty or just rude horses and sadly all chestnut. I’m beginning to wonder if someone is playing a Halloween trick on me. But then like Rae of Light said many superb chestnuts do not seem to be used in the breeding shed as much??? Coincedence??

Possibly, but I think not. Or at least I hope not. Anyway just a thought and observance.

Personally for me I have always liked the greys. But in my Morgans my fav has to be the dark liver chestnuts and mahogony bays. Although if the horse is conformed and can perform… ANY color works! ;)

My mother on the hand will always be in love with the dark liver chestnuts with flaxen manes and tails. She also likes the stocking chestnuts too and if GOOD Morgans came in tri her world would be set. LOL

4. Trisha says:

As long as it LOOKS like a Morgan, then I don’t care what color it is. What’s the point of having a grey Morgan if no one, not even Morgan enthusiasts, can tell it’s a Morgan? It kind of defeats the purpose; it was probably looks (at first) that got many of us interested in Morgans in the first place. Though I do believe that the vast majority of color breeders do a great job keeping type in mind.

I was always been a bay person when I wasn’t really around horses in person, but just looking through my grandma’s old issues of the Morgan Connection. Then I discovered Nocturnal Flash. It’s probably been five or six years since then and I still smile and point him out whenever I see him at shows. =)

5. Carley says:

personally, i think if a morgan is going to be of the non-traditional colors (black, bay, chestnut) it should be a spectacular individual. i am so tired of seeing sales ads for colored morgans that advertise them as fabulous breeding stock just because of the color genes. the only way to have the colored horses become truly accepted is for them to become just as successful as the basic colored ones. meaning, breeding should NOT be done just based on one color. they should reproduce because they are outstanding individuals.

in response to the chestnut comments… not sure if this is completely holds water as a fact, or more just personal experience, but… from my over-all equine experience, ive always found chestnuts to be more sensitive. not only training-wise, but also skin susceptibility too. they seem to pick up skin ick and fugi more readily than the darker pigmented animals… coincidence? possibly?

6. dressagemorganrider says:

I ended up with a palomino, but not because I was looking for one. I was more interested in sporthorse potential than extreme type. She’s not terribly typey on the ground, but under saddle one does see the Morgan in her and she has the personality and smarts of the breed. I get asked a lot if she’s part-Arab just because of how she carries herself. Her parents and grandparents (to the degree I know of them) are typey, though, and it’s possible that the “nick” (of largely unrelated lines) just did not work. Interestingly, she was not being offered as a breeding prospect, and perhaps the lack of type contributed there.

Amongst the coloreds, I see a range of types. Remember that a lot of them are pretty heavy in Foundation lines and may be built more like “working” Morgans than modern “show” Morgans.