Showring Hair

This is a question for the ladies (or guys if you’re into this kind of thing). I have always had long hair and have just put it in one of those donut things and then pinned it into a bun with a hairnet over it. However, last evening I had one of those disasterous haircuts with a new stylist. My hair is now above my shoulders and is NOT going to be bun length for a while. So traumatizing – ha ha! So, my question is, what do you do with shorter hairstyles for the show ring? It’s long enough that it can go in a stumpy looking pony tail, but that won’t look very polished. I really appreciate insite on this. Thanks!!

Jenny Jespersen

6 Responses to Showring Hair

1. empressive says:

Jns,

I am hoping to donate 10 in of hair and have been thinking about this for a while too. I would love to hear from others who have short hair.

Still I was thinking of taking one of the hair nets and filling it with like colored fake hair or tissue paper. Something to fill the net which would cover whatever hair I have left. Yep think that would do it. Granted the fake hair or tissue paper would match my hair color. No rainbow colors here!

There are a couple of options. If you have enough length left- usually just about touching the shoulders, it is sometimes possible to get the hair around the donut. Since the hair/layers will be thinner, just concentrate on getting the bottom part of the donut covered, as you hat (unless hunt) will hang over and cover the top.

If it is too short to get over the donut, but long enough to get a small secure tail, you can buy fake hair. I recommend the actual wiglets/pony tails. Go to your local wig/extension store and get one that matches and is decent quality. Don’t be afraid to ask the staff to help you, and explain what you need it to look like. The wiglets usually resemble a pony tail and may come with a butterfly comb attachment. Get one about 4-6 inches long. Remove the butterfly clip and style it into a bun. Make sure it has its own hair net, then use the little comb in the wig base to attach to the base of your hair at the top of the tail(just before the rubber band), or through the rubber band, of your tail. SECURE with hair pins and have another net for your whole head.

I recommend shaking your head to be sure that it stays put.

If you hair is even shorter than that, just style it nicely BEHIND your ears and put the hat on. If you have a ton of flyaways, you can use a net…but sometimes it make the hair look clumpy and you are better off using hair wax/mud/gel to smooth the flyaways.

Good luck!

3. snerland says:

It was in the late 60′s and I had a short “Twiggy” haircut. For those of you who do not know what a “Twiggy” haircut is, it resembles almost a shaven skull-like appearance. While everyone else had long hair, I touted my British hairstyle with pride because I wanted to stand out from everyone else. What you are about to read is forever etched in the memories of those who attended the first South Dakota May local open horseshow located in a pasture and enclosed by a wooden snow fence.
    I debated on what I was going to do without long hair. Because my hair was so short I did not need a hair net; however, the overall effect of my appearance bothered me. No matter that I wanted to be different in everyday life, at a horseshow I wanted to be uniform in appearance so that the judge would see my horse instead of myself, i.e. short hair.
    Two days before the show, I went down to the local department store and purchased an 18″ hairpiece called a “fall”. I then fashioned the fall into a bun and fastened the concoction onto my short hair with bobby pins, scotch tape, and a hair net. When I put on my saddle seat derby, it was tight but I wasn’t too concerned because once again I had long hair; I would look like everyone else.
    The day of the show arrived and my father went with me as I would be riding my stallion. Women were allowed to ride stallions in those days as long as they had a groom. I dressed in the trailer making sure that my hat was firmly in place. I even rotated my head to make sure the piece was secure.
    Now feature this everyone: a stallion, a class of 20 horses, and a pasture with a snow fence for a ring. The gate keeper called the class and because I was the only person riding a stallion, I was given the privilege of entering the arena first. With head held high and a stallion ready to strut his stuff, I entered the ring “with bells on”.
    Right away I had problems. My “fall” kept moving around on the top of my head. There were times I could not see because the “fall” had literally fallen in front of my eyes.I thought a hairnet was supposed to keep hair in place! Not so. I stuggled with flipping the fall to the back of my head, keeping my derby on and contolling my stallion as the other horses passed me showing their tails (you all know what I mean; it was May afterall).
    By the time we reversed my derby had been picked up by the steward. Now it was time for the canter. As Lancer leapt into the lead (he always hated the right lead), I felt my beautiful “fall” FALL to the ground. I had no time to look back as I had my hands full keeping Lancer under control. As I rounded the curve, I had a chance to look back over my shoulder and what I saw was not a pretty sight.
    The ring was in chaos. There were horses bucking, riders being thrown, and two horses broke out of the ring and ran into the crowd.
    For several minutes no one knew what had happened except that all of a sudden I was the only one left mounted and still executing a somewhat controlled canter. I was immediately told to come to the center of the ring.
    Under the judge’s orders, the announcer called those who had left the ring involuntarily and those who had dismounted involuntarily to come back in and finish the class. The fence was put back up and the judge told us we would start the canter again; but not before the steward surmised what had happened to make 19 horses spook. Kids were told to stay away from the fence; adults were told not to smoke ringside; all babies were to be taken back to the cars; all mounted spectators were told to go back to their trailers, etc.
    Out of the crowd it came, “Sir…there is a dead cat in the arena!” A pitchfork was given to the steward and he walked over to the carcass and gingerly picked it up. The judge then ordered the class to resume.
    However, the steward was not done with me. Before he motioned the class to go to the right, he brought the “dead cat” over to me. A hush fell upon the crowd and I was mortified.
    My father came into the ring and took the pitchfork with the dead cat impaled on the tines from the angry steward. It was my “fall”, my beautiful expensive “fall”, now trampled beyond recognition. When Lancer saw the pitchfork and what was at the end of it he panicked and reared. By that action I was automatically disqualified and in shame I trotted my horse out of the ring with my father following at a discreet distance carrying the “fall” still impaled on the pitchfork.
    I don’t remember who won the class; I know it was short though as the horses were still spooked. Not a word was said on the way home. I don’t know what my Dad told my Mom but I never saw the “fall” again and she went with me to every show after that incident to make sure I was dressed properly; looking back I am now convinced that it had become a requirement in order for me to enter the ring.
    Lancer and I won many blue ribbons and championships following that dreadful day. It seemed my short hair did not make a difference. So here is my answer, be yourself and be your best and the judge will not care if you have long hair or not.

4. empressive says:

Thank you for sharing. While I did laugh I understand the importance in this story. Thank you again for sharing your mistake so we can learn from it! :)

5. Sue says:

Try Hartmeyers-they have Hunny Buns which are bun type hairpieces. Also you can get them on line, already shaped like a bun. Pull your hair into a pony tail and pin on-your ready to go.

6. Beth says:

LOL at that story, however, I have a foolproof piece of fake hair. you go to Bestway or a beauty supply store, they have fake buns. they cost about $30 but well worth it. Its like a draw string bag with hair on it. it fits over a ponytail stump. Put a net over it and you CAN NOT tell the difference. Most of the adults in my barn use them, they are awesome.

Beth