Why do you breed your Morgans?

As many of you do, I belong to several Morgan lists and groups. Many to most of the posts that wind up in my in-box are aggressive, and there seems to be little interest in broadening horizons and lots of interest in cutting down differing opinions. That is what I like about this site– there is very, very little of that. Therefore, I am stealing a thread from one of the groups, and tweaking and then posing the question to all of you here, where I can get thought-provoking and respectful feedback.

Why do you breed your Morgans?
What is your ultimate goal with the foals?
How much of your decisions are financially based?
How much is emotional?
At what point would you discontinue your program?

I will join in with my own thoughts/answers once this post gets rolling. I am hoping to get honest, frank feedback, and am not looking for a “right” or “wrong” answer. I am hoping to get a nice cross-section of opinions and ideology where breeding is concerned.

6 Responses to Why do you breed your Morgans?

1. PrincessPrada says:

I do not breed Morgans myself, but my family does. My Aunt breeds because she loves her mare, and wants to replace her. She looks for stallions that are not very dominant genetically so that as much of her mare comes through as possible. This will be her third. She sold the first one right away, kept the second one (now a yearling) and is waiting for the third one any day. Once she gets what she wants, i suppose she will stop. I don’t think finances are a big deciding factor– she won’t spend more than $1,200 on a stud fee, and she sold the first foal for little mroe than her expenses ($3,100). This is all emotional for her.

2. leslie says:

I don’t breed and I doubt that I ever will unless I stumble upon a lot of money and an amazing mare at some point in the future. I would not breed a foal unless I intended to provide it with a home for life. I guess my decision to never breed is emotional and financial. I can’t put more horses on the planet knowing how many perfectly good horses are neglected or sold to the meat man. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

That said, I’m well aware that I wouldn’t have my wonderful gelding if not for a fairly large breeding program and the system of the show world where horses are bought, shown, outgrown and sold several times throughout their lives. And I understand why horses are bought and sold like they are and not kept forever like pets, it’s just not how I operate.

On a different topic, I unsubscribed from the Morgans Yahoo group last year because the constant hostility amongst a very small handful of members. It had gotten to the point where they dominated everything, even though I think the vast majority of people on that list are nice, sane people. So even though I’m not really involved in the Morgan show world, I appreciate this blog, too. It’s nice to be able to read about the Morgan world without having to sift through the same old fights.

3. empressive says:

Scottfield, while I am not breeding my mares either, I do offer my two cents.

I personally worked my butt off for some people so I could get a breeding to a stallion. All that work for 2 years and nothing to show for it.

That got me to thinking. Why do I want to breed my mare? To have a memoir, yes that would be wonderful. To better the breed, yes that should be first & foremost. To get money, no sorry it doesn’t happen like that.

I believe that any breeding should be to better the breed. Regardless of emotional attachment unless you were willing to keep that memoir. After breeding to better the breed you need to look at selling.

Ask yourself, “If I have to sell this horse, can I sell it? And for how much?” Be realistic. Unless you have a money tree, cover your basis. You want a horse people are going to want. Life is business. No matter how you look at it.

Pretty horses sell. Horses that do everything or excell stronger in a givin & sought after class, sell. Kiddy horses sell. Make sure this baby is going to be able to do something. But, be ready for the disappointments that might come.

No horse is perfect, but we should strive for that. I hear there was a time when people would geld a stallion just because he “tried” to bite someone.

Everyone wants a little piece of something. Just make sure you bite only what you can chew. Don’t over extend yourself.

I know this is off, but I used to think that Halter classes were the best way to see if your horse was conformationally correct. I think otherwise now. Your best bet is to show pics of the horse to different trainers & breeders and let them decide. Just be ready for the not-so-good-comments.

Oh, & personally to me. If you do not follow the breed standard that has been designed for us to “follow” by. Then what are you breeding? And what then is the significance of a standard? Going against the standard totally messes with the sellability of the breed as a whole.

You can only imagine peoples amazement when they meet a Morgan breeder. There is already a preconception of the Morgan breed in the buyers mind. I challenge everyone to go to a different breed show & ask people about their thoughts of Morgans. Even a trailriding group. Especially vets.

Well that is it for now. I too would love to hear the ideas of other breeders BIG & small. Goodnight!

Well, I am burnt out now. Tired too.

4. jgarrett_fhf says:

so, i am not a trainer, breeder, i do not have a big barn or anything like that. i have just been showing for a long time and been in love with morgans my whole life. i have never bred my horses before, but decided to breed my mare last summer.

my main goal is to get another horse out of her that is a lot like her, only improved in the ways that i think she should be. she is a very good all around mare with a good mind and great conformation. she is a good size at 15.2, which i like, not too big or small, which was something i wanted to keep, i didnt want a giant, like some of the other horses you can see in our breed. the main thing i wanted to find was an all around stud with a good mind, i wanted a stockier morgan to give the baby (hopefully) a little more body.

it is emotional for me since the mare is my baby and i have had her since she was 2, but it is still also very planned and thought out.

Financially, I would love to breed her and get tons of babies out of her and my other mares, have my own herds of babies and horses everywhere. =) but the economy is so down right now and there are so many horses that get abandoned that need to be taken care of that I think I would be being irresponsible to just keep breeding and breeding all of them. That is why I chose my one mare and I am only going to breed her a couple times. I plan on keeping the babies and I also know financially I can easily take care of all of them, including the ones I already have, if I stick to my plan.

5. Flmorgan says:

I am not breeding this year [I don't think] as the economy is bad and you can buy a young horse ready to train for less that the Stud Fee that put himm on the ground. People are still buying Morgans in Fl. It is because there aren’t too many, as horses go down here. If I were to breed it would be a financial desision to add to our string of Jr. Exhibitor horses or to replace a mare I love dearly.
    My Vet loves Morgans and just lost her old Command gelding 32 years old. Most people just don’t know morgans do anything but Trot around a ring. When they see ours at a Open Hunter show or a Barrel Race they are really suprized and ask alot of questions about them. Morgans can do anything any other breed can do. We as owners don’t always give them a chance to prove it.

6. Scottfield03 says:

I am very impressed with these responses. Much different ahn many on the group list. It sounds like we have some very reasonable, responsible breeders ehre, and I am all for that.