For fun!

A friend of mine, sent me a survey by e-mail and I thought it might be fun to share it on Abovelevel. Basically, just copy the questions and then post them with your answers in the comment box. I think it would be a great way to get to know one another. :) I’ll even go first!!

1. What’s your name?

2. How many horses do you own?

3. What state do you live in?

4. Who/what got you interested in horses?

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose?

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home?

7. Do you show?

8. What is your preferred riding discipline?

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years?

15 Responses to For fun!

1. jns767 says:

1. What’s your name? Jennifer Jespersen

2. How many horses do you own? 1/4 of one – it’s a long story :)

3. What state do you live in? Michigan

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? My mom – she had me on horses before I could walk.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? A Quarter horse – but not the peanut pushing tiny hoofed kind.

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? Board

7. Do you show? Yes

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Western Pleasure, but I think that Saddle Seat would be a blast.

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): Trail riding ALL OVER the place as a kid w/ my mom 2. The first Championship I ever won – even if I only beat two other kids – it was a great moment!

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? I’d love to successfully compete at the National level with my own horse.

2. mpe511 says:

1. What is my name? Marcie (Palmer) Eaton.

2.How many horses do you own?
    Two ( a 26 year old gelding that was my Jr. Exib mount) and (a 4 year old that I just bought in Jan.)

3.What state do you live in: New York (Central)

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? My mom, she had me riding before I could walk!

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently have what would you own? Irish Warm blood

6. Do you Board or keep your horse at home? Board I guess ( they are at my parents farm)
    7. Do you show? I use to a lot. I am hoping to get back into showing slowly over the next year.

8. What is your preferred riding discipline?
    Hunt seat or saddle seat.

9. Name your two most memorable or embarrassing horse moments: My first would have to be when I took my husband, boyfriend at the time, on his first ride and the horse I was riding had a bit of a freak out moment over a small stream. I ended up in the stream and my husband hasn’t ridden since! The second would have to be the first show I took my Gelding too, NY Breeders, and we were asked to leave the ring due to control issues ( he was a roadster prior to me attempting to ride him Eq. And he hadn’t gotten the idea of being “slow”.) We did end up winning the championship though!

3. amie9191 says:

1. What’s your name? Amy Sargent

2. How many horses do you own? 4 Morgan Geldings

3. What state do you live in? Maryland

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? The movie the Black Stallion ( I don’t think my parents ever thought I would take it this far LOL)

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? I guess a Warm Blood…..but really my heart is with the morgans

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? At home

7. Do you show? Yes (LOVE IT!)

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Western pleasure because I can afford the shoeing ;-)

Oh gosh just two? The most embarrassing would have to be as a young child while riding double, I suddenly had to use the restroom. Being that my cousin was the one steering the horse she kept troting along and wouldn’t stop to let me down. I ended up SCREAMING “I gotta POO” …..let me tell you I’ve never seen someone stop a horse so fast in my life LOL

The most memorable would have to be winning at shows that, as a child, I never thought I would ever have a chance at even placing.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years?

My 5 year goal is to successfully show my 3 year old in the western pleasure division and make him a killer show horse.

4. Black Eye Beth says:

1. What’s your name? Beth Wilber

2. How many horses do you own? 6 (5 Morgan, 1 TB)

3. What state do you live in? Ohio

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? I was interested in horses as far back as I can remember; I rode my rocking horse so much that I broke off the handles and then the ears from holding on to them instead).

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Appendix

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? both (3 at home, one at trainers, 2 at boarding stable)

7. Do you show? Yes

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Saddle seat but I have done all three

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): One of my horses just plain stopped the second way when I asked for the canter and wouldn’t move an inch. (The ring master even had to have the line up at the other end of the ring near me so as to not embarrass me even more than I already was!. Also, winning my first championship with my park mare. Very exciting.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? LEARN, LEARN, LEARN

5. Scottfield03 says:

1. What’s your name? Alicia Fraser

2. How many horses do you own? 3 Morgan show horses, and two school horses.

3. What state do you live in? Pennsylvania, but I am less than 10 minutes from the NY border.

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? My mom and dad met on a horse farm, and started a little farm together, and even after they split up, they both always had horses.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Saddlebreds, though I have been down that road and chose Morgans for a reason. :-)

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? We own the farm, so we keep our horses, along with 28 others, here at home.

7. Do you show? It is my profession.

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Saddleseat

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): I am going with 2 exciting: When Kate, a student of mine, nailed a tough pattern and won the Junior SS Equitation Championship at New England on a horse I took from a harness horse and fully equiatated… that was an amazing moment. Also, when Haleigh and Del, a student and a training horse, were crowned reserve World Champions last fall, that was just the biggest thrill, especially how far both of them had to come to even go to the Grand National. Just the best…

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? I want to help more riders achieve their personal riding goals, and I want to continue to expand my business towards starting horses. And of course, I would like to learn as much as possible from those talented trainers that bless the Morgan world.

1. What’s your name? Kathy Daly

2. How many horses do you own? I am down to one Morgan Gelding

3. What state do you live in? New York

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? I have loved them since I could identify them in a coloring book. Mom said that I became obsessed somewhere around 3 years old.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Saddlebred or a TB/Percheron-cross eventing horse

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? Board

7. Do you show? YES!!!!

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? I like them all, but probably Saddleseat.

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand):1.MOST EMBARASSING Splitting my tux pants on the way into a championship class…and it was a strip class…did I mention the bright pink underwear? 2. MOST EXCITING – Riding my friend’s 3-Gaited super-hot mare in a Ladies class, outdoors, at night, in the rain. The mare loved the mud, and trotted so high I still don’t know how I ever got the grin off my face!

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years?
    Learning hunt seat again and bonding with my new show horse. Finding a new prospect or two.

7. erikarose says:

1. What’s your name? Erika Webster

2. How many horses do you own? 7 in the family

3. What state do you live in? Pennsylvania

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? WE always trail rode on vacations, and after a few months of begging I got riding lessons for Christmas

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? probably Saddlebreds

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? We have normally 3-6 @ home, and 1-3 in training

7. Do you show? yes

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? I prefer variety. Western, Hunter and saddleseat…English Pleasure is my fave to show though

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): Winning @ Syracuse ’06 w/ Coal Miner’s Wildfire.
    If you know me you know I’ve had way to many embarrasing moments to share :)

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? Breeding great horses and getting a few step closer to owning my own barn.

8. KarenL says:

1. What’s your name? Karen Lassell

2. How many horses do you own? 3 (work w/ 25)

3. What state do you live in? Waaayyy upstate NY

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? I was going to take roller skating lessons during the summer between 5-6th grades. Until my sister chose horseback riding lessons- instant jealousy & I bailed on wheels & took up hooves!

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Probably a large pony breed- Welsh or Connemara?

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? the 3 live with me (retired Morgan broodmare, my Morgan gelding & my husband’s Canadian gelding)

7. Do you show? Limited, but yes.

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Dressage, but I really like them all- jack of all trades, master of none :)

An unbelieveably “oneness” moment with my first horse doing a challenging (for us!) cross country course and hitting every spot perfectly and feet barely touching the ground. My parents said they could hear me at every fence from the start/finish telling Sunny “good boy!!”. My first outing with an English Pleasure horse ever- thank goodness he took every step one in front of the other as I ended up shortening my stirrups 4 holes for every ride after that! Between the airs he put on at the show that I’d never felt riding at home and the fact that I was wearing jods w/o any suede whatsoever WHEW.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? Get my husband riding more and comfortable enough that we can take them off the farm to a trail ride/camping event.

9. ech2023 says:

1. What’s your name? Erin (Butler) Hudy

2. How many horses do you own? I just bought my first show horse on my own, a Morgan mare (when I was younger, my showing was funded by my parents). I began showing at a young age and continued into my early twenties. I stopped riding for a lot of years while I had my two beautiful daughters and started again a few years ago. I thought I would be satisfied with just riding at the barn once a week…but of course I immediately wanted my own horse and to show again!!!!!

3. What state do you live in? Ohio

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? I think I was born with it, but my mom also loved horses and nurtured my love for them. I was the typical “horse crazy” little girl. I had a stick horse that I would ride everywhere so much that I wore about half of the wooden stick down, I would only check horse books out of the library, when my friends wanted to play Barbies, I wanted to play Breyer Horses and I think I watched the Black Stallion movie about 500 times!!!!

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? probably Saddlebred, but it would have to be a “Morgany” Saddlebred….you know, pretty and smart!! I really only prefer Morgans.

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? My new horse is with a trainer.

7. Do you show? I will this year, finally!!!!! Yeahhhh!!!

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Saddleseat

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): The most embarrassing would have to be showing my three year old devil pony my parents thought would be a good first mount (????) at a local 4-H show and getting dumped in the middle of the ring (he was good at that). I was about seven years old, and my mom said that I got up, dusted myself off, and then hauled back and punched the pony right in the nose!!! She said the crowd was hysterical! I have two most exciting: The first being winning the Senior Saddleseat equitation championship at the Gold Cup (back in the early 90′s) along with the UPHA Challenge cup, and reserve in the AMHA medal. The second was being called out for the work-off in the Medal class at Nationals that year and hearing the announcer say “We’re going to SWITCH HORSES!!” the crowd went nuts..it was really cool.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? My goal for the next five years is to immerse myself in the Morgan show world again and make it back to Oklahoma and do well. I just want a great comeback!!

10. trotsie says:

1. What’s your name? Megan Brunke

2. How many horses do you own? 1 mare and 1 gelding

3. What state do you live in? Michigan

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? I have no idea I have wanted horses as far back as I can remeber.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Arabian

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? Board

7. Do you show? Yes.

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? Western pleasure.

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): My most memorable moment was last year at Nationals a horse that I had owned since he was a baby won youth hunter pleasure and placed very well in the 4 year old classes he was in. I have far to many embarrassing moments to mention.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? To win a national championship riding a horse that I own.

11. elise says:

1. What’s your name? Elise Kurz

2. How many horses do you own? 1, Soon to be 5 year old Chestnut Morgan gelding Disco Dia Monte. I’m a proud Mamma.

3. What state do you live in? Pennsylvania

4. Who/what got you interested in horses?
    A family friend had horses when I was a child, and they have always fasinated me. I can watch them in a pasture or under saddle for hours. I just love them. They teach you so much about life, and there’s something calming about them to me.
    5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Probably a QH because of size and like-minded friendliness and trainability to the Morgan. I’m a small rider, so having a huge horse isn’t ideal for me. So when I saw Morgans can be small, but not lose any of the things that make them a Morgan, I was sold.

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home?
    I board my guy, and although I have dreams of having him on some land my family owns, he is so happy with his trainer and friends at the farm, I’m really liking this situation. We can safely learn and spend time together. I work a lot, so I spend more time with his this way than if I had him at home, I think.
    7. Do you show? Not currently, but if he picks up neck reigning as well as he has everything asked of him so far, we could give it a try in the Western class in the future. I got back into riding after a long gap of not riding, so I think I needed more training than he did! He is a great partner, and I would love to see his potential realized if that’s what he would be good at. Whatever we do, it will be fun and we’ll do it together.

8. What is your preferred riding discipline?
    I’m an old Western cowgirl, it looks so relaxed and natural to me. I also love saddleseat and appreciate the balance and control that it takes.
    My most memorable moment came a few weeks ago when I cantered for the first time EVER. By the second time around, you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face.
    10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? To learn more and improve my riding every time I ride. And to be the best owner I can be for one of the joys of my life.

12. leslie says:

1. What’s your name?
    Leslie

2. How many horses do you own?
    One

3. What state do you live in?
    Kentucky

4. Who/what got you interested in horses?
    I’m not really sure…my sister and I were both inexplicably horse-crazy little girls from entirely non-horsey parents. My sister mostly grew out of it.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose?
    I doubt I’d choose based on breed. Whenever I can afford to own another horse it will undoubtedly be some sob-story rescue case.

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home?
    Board

7. Do you show?

8. What is your preferred riding discipline?
    I’ve mostly ridden saddle seat

Most memorable was probably my last show with my old barn before moving to Kentucky. We won our championship and then everyone from my barn came out to center ring and gave me flowers and I cried. Most exciting was when we rode down to the beach and after pacing the shoreline for a while my horse suddenly decided to launch into the ocean. He’s been scared of the tiniest puddles for as long as I’ve known him, so this was a big step. He even seemed to actually enjoy going out and swimming. I’d love to do it again with him someday.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years?
    I’d really like to try eventing.

13. 1. What’s your name? Carley Freeman

2. How many horses do you own? 2 geldings

3. What state do you live in? Michigan

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? My neighbor worked for a pony party place and used to ride the ponies around our neighborhood. I blame it all on her.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Arabs

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? Technically I board, but I also work there. So it really is a second home.

7. Do you show? Yep

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? I ride mostly hunters, but would like eventually like an English Pleasure horse.

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): Every show on my first mare was an embarassment. She was definitely too much horse for me, but she was all I could afford so I learned my way through it.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? Ride at OKC, get way more involved in the AMHA and MJMHA and ride as many cool horses as possible. and never stop learning.

14. wctigger says:

1. What’s your name? Taryn Farnsworth

2. How many horses do you own? 2 Morgan Geldings

3. What state do you live in? Florida

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? I can’t really remember, I was always horse crazy. My parents hoped I would grow out of it, but it hasn’t happened yet :)

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? I don’t know, I would like one of those amazing grand prix dressage horses :)

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home?
    Board

7. Do you show? yep!

8. What is your preferred riding discipline?
    Hunt Seat

1. Winning a World Championship with a mare that I was showing just to get her more show experience
    2. Making it through the 4 year Hunter Pleasure Class on my gelding. My trainer ended up in the hospital a few hours before and I had to warm up and ride him without any coaching. We ended up 3rd, I was so proud of myself and Tigger.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years?
    I would love to get back and show my gelding at Grand Nationals again.

15. empressive says:

1. What’s your name? Monique Childs

2. How many horses do you own?3 Morgan mares and 1 wanna be Paso Gelding

3. What state do you live in? Cali! All the way!

4. Who/what got you interested in horses? Born with plus with some positive parents I just kept loving them. Actually my dad told my Mom to get me a horse so I wouldn’t go after boys! LOL It worked.

5. If you didn’t own the breed you currently own, which breed would you choose? Any horse that everyone else just won’t ride because the horse is too HOT! There are too many breeds to choose from.

6. Do you board or keep your horses at home? At home and I am very thankful to my parents for that.

7. Do you show? I did for a barn down the way that had a youth program and helped some Morgan people at shows a lot. Now though that I have discovered a real taste for showing I have to go to college! We’ll see how that works.

8. What is your preferred riding discipline? I think I would like Park or English Pleasure but, so long as the horse is hot and ready to go not lazy or dragging his feet I’ll ride just about anything.

9. Name your 2 most memorable/embarrassing or exciting horse moments (off hand): My trainer cut a morning medal equ. Class. Out of the schedule because he didn’t think I could do it. I convinced him that I could so he re-entered me. Another Mom with 2 kids in the youth program had been cut from the class too and instead of talking to the trainer she berated me and called me some un-nice things when no one was around. (My Mom was helping with the awards.) I was so scared and felt terrible going into the class and if you’ve read above then know my horse wasn’t an equ. Horse! Once in the class going around the arena I could see the Mom and kids they didn’t even smile but, some kids I had just met were across the way and screaming their heads off. I won the class and ALL of the trainers were there (it was the first class of the day) I had the best cheering squad EVER! 2cd would have to be winning another equ. class on same horse unanimously with 4 judges and 4 other competitors.

10. What is your “horse related” goal for the next 5-years? I would like to become a judge for our great Morgan breed or possibly start really showing once I get settled into college.