Kentucky Ice Storm of 2009

What a week.

We were smack dab in the middle of the big ice & snow storm last week.  6 days without power, the whole time never knowing when it would be fixed.  Trees were laying on the power lines directly in front of our farm for 2 days before they came along to repair it.  We got our hopes up, but got no juice for another 4 days.

The horses are all fine (we have a great, dedicated staff here), but it was certainly all about survival for a few days there.  We went through this in ’94 (the Great Indiana Ice Storm), but we were on well there (no power = no pump = no water).  Someone was melting snow all day to water the 40 head we had.  It was nice having running water this time. Even our frost-free pasture waterers (non-electric) stayed working.

Sammi & I stayed with our daughter & son-in-law and their 4 month old son.  Spending time with our grandson (Aiden) was deffinatly the silver lining, but getting my but kicked on Wii by my son-in-law for 5 days was not.

Some pics:

The Farm was a skating rink:

We had no trees down, just lots of limbs and branches.  The farm across the road from us had massive tree damage, including every single tree they planted onthe road in ’06.

Frosty, the golf cart.

The only passable road (barely that) after the storm:

What happens when your wife tells you to get out of the car and shake the branches loose of the ice and snow so her car doesn’t get scratched:

(I’m thinking:  “What the heck do we have insurance for?

9 Responses to Kentucky Ice Storm of 2009

1. Black Eye Beth says:

Holy Cow, Bill! I lost water to my barn for less than 24 hours and I was really bummin’. Now I just feel incredibly fortunate! Glad you made it through without any major incidents. Hang in there…they say spring is coming.

2. Jan says:

You probably don’t want to hear how beautiful the pictures look. The farmers here say, “sometimes you can’t fight mother”……(nature, that is). There’s nothing like those non-electric waterers, though……I have a Bar-Bar-A. Glad there’s an end in sight for you Southerners.

3. Carole says:

Bill,
    Wow! I was wondering how people were coping in that ice storm. I live out in the Pcific North West. We don’t have ice storms, but Mother Nature is such a fickle Gal here too. Many years ago we were without the electric help of man for two weeks. I have an eletric pump on my well. Fortunately I have a pond and an ax. Broke a lot of ice and hauled a lot of water.Fortunately the horses could be lead to water and I used my horses to feed the cattle that winter. Maybe after things thaw out a bit and we get back to “normal” we all could write a few words about fire evacuation (always a problem here in the west) coping without water in winter or summer , ice storms, fire safety…and have everyone put in their two cents worth. I think the topic would be more than worhtwhile. The most important thing …is you and Sammi are alright…the horses are fine…you have a great staff and you are going to thaw out. I am greatly relieved to know that all is well with you and yours. Thank goodness for insurance.
    Cheers,Carole L. Mercer/Dancing Morgans

4. KarenL says:

Ah, you’ve got full symathies coming from the North Country of upstate NY. Been there, done that, got the “Ice Storm of ’98″ t-shirt!

I remember Garrison Keillor of Prairie Home Companion did a show from upstate NY shortly after the storm (Potsdam, NY) and he got quite a laugh from everyone (myself included!) when he noted that folks figured out exactly how many buckets of water it took to flush a toilet…

Thank goodness the farm I work for had a BIG generator and a rotating shift of showers for employees & family. Hot coffee & clean body make many other difficulties easier to bear :)

Glad to hear that you are all doing well, despite the rough conditions. I loved your comment about the silver lining. Here in the Western NY area, many people recall childhood memories of being huddled around the fireplace with their families during the Blizzard of 77.

Hopefully when things warm up and de-ice, you and your family will be left with fond memories of togetherness…and Sammi laughing at the ice and snow that fell on you when you were shaking the trees.

I also agree with Jan…the pictures are stunning. Even in her wrath, mother nature manages to create some beauty.

Great picture!

The quick thaw always worries me. If you have too much snow, it then turns to lead on a barn/arena roof.

About 10 years ago, that happened in this area. We had 4-5 feet of snow, followed by a 50 degree sunny day, and at leat 5 people I know of lost their indoor rings (hundreds of structures in the area collapsed). I was inside one of them when it went down. My friend was on the roof trying to shovel it. Luckily, all the horses and people were unharmed, but the indoor and attached barn were a total loss.

Scary stuff…and a reminder to everyone to shovel if you hear a thaw is on the way.

7. empressive says:

I cannot imagine living out there. Luckily if I ever do it will hopefully be in a college dorm. Although I would love to have my horses with me.

Bill you are some kind of superhero!

Getting those ice branches for your wife! Man, you know there are some brownie points for that. Plus losing to your son-in-law for 5 days. Ouch! If you ever play with him again get a mutiplayer and play on teams.

Glad you are getting some sunshine out there though. Take lots of photos when the sun comes out. I bet it will be beautiful. The pray like a madman that you never get weather like that again. The pics will be a great reminder.

Although it makes me wonder if the global warming people are right?

8. leslie says:

I was lucky that we never lost power, but the farm where I board was out for four or five days. Then it was a few days of sheer ice so the horses couldn’t go outside. Today’s thaw is a beautiful thing, even with the mud everywhere.

I moved to Kentucky from Maine last year. I thought I was getting away from this stuff!