Pictures

Hi Guy’s and Gal’s!

So I got kind’a curious after looking at some horses for sale. Of all the pictures you have to place online for photo adds how do you choose which one? Also, how come so few place photos of horses either parked out side shots or standing side shots? I noticed alot of head shots that although cute weren’t really needed or at least that many head shots weren’t needed ( made me think there was something wrong with the rest of the horse). That’s the saleswoman coming out of me.

Oh and hey! Which in the end is better: a side shot of a horse parked out or a horse standing on all four square? I mean which do you all believe is better to see the conformation? I know for the conf. in-hand classes we “park”/”stand” the horses out but, if that’s so then shouldn’t we mostly stand the horses out for side shots when selling? Or is the old parking out thing “old”?

Thanks for your comments! I guess I just have too much time on my hands.

8 Responses to Pictures

1. denu220 says:

Hi there,
    I found my new mare online and was initially attracted to her not simply by her reputation, pedigree, and show record but by the degree of motion seen in multiple photos (she’s a park horse). I didn’t look at one photo—I viewed several from different years and shows. Then I requested DVD’s and went from there… Best of luck!

2. Mocha Mom says:

denu220 makes an excellent point about looking at multiple pictures over several years. It occurs to me that advertising online allows you to show many different pictures for one price, without looking busy or crowded. Most of you probably know this already, but I guess I never really paid attention before. An excellent example is the Santa Fe Renegade ad on this site. When you click on it, you are linked to Debbie and Eitan’s website that shows pictures from Renegade’s entire career. That said, if I were going to buy a horse, or breed to one, I would want to see it in person first.

3. denu220 says:

I guess I’ve learned my lessons the hard way over the years… I learned that an ad can tell you ANYTHING and NOTHING. That’s why I want the full show/breeding record for ALL years plus pictures from multiple years/shows. In retrospect, I’d add to consider the “circuit” your prospect was winning on. For example, my new mare was number one in the country as a three-year old park baby and many times undefeated in the midwest. We’ve had her less than a year but are still to make a significant impact in the northeast… It’s rough here—practically every time the gate opens I’m riding against CURRENT world/national champions. We’re holding our own, but that factor isn’t one I would have thought of previously… Ask yourself, in what division/circuit/year was the horse I’m considering a star? And then after viewing the mandatory DVD’s (three of them), of course I arranged a flight to the farm… From that point on it was love at first sight/ride! The only other advice I would give (besides arranging a comprehensive pre-vet exam to include blood work as necessary—I say that because we don’t always know what some overly eager trainer/owner may have injected the horse with to get it to “show” super well for us…) is to *try* to leave your emotions at the door. Again, best of luck—these are exciting times!!

4. empressive says:

Denu I never really thought about where the horse was showing. I did look into other horses in the class with the horse but, that was from what I could find online. I guess the other to look at is if the rider or person showing was the owner or trainer let alone that persons ability to work with the horse.

Well Mocha Mom and Denu thanks these are things to take into consideration.

5. denu220 says:

I only mentioned the circuit thing because it had never occurred to me either! My mare’s very, very, very good and was winning undefeated in the midwest; she finished reserve grand champion twice under my brand new ownership. That’s when I started putting things together… I still love her to pieces, though! I’m just up against the best of the best here in the northeast! Good luck again—have fun with the purchase!

6. denu220 says:

I thought of another important consideration also—think about what division you’ll be showing in (on which circuit). For example, I’m not a junior exhibitor or a novice rider, am too young for the Masters classes, and can’t show a park horse in the Jack Benny classes. Also, my horse isn’t a junior, novice, or limit horse. It’s just another batch of criteria to think about; make sure the horse you purchase will fit the bill in YOUR chosen division…

7. empressive says:

Very true, Denu!

(haha it rymes!)

Yes! I do remember that one. Always asking myself, “What would I do with you?” A friend and I used to go to the auctions and just pick up a horse then resell it. Of course, we always sat around going, “Ok, what would you be good at?”

Sadly the way this market is going we can’t do that anymore. It sure was fun! Boy, the stories I could tell. I know there are books out there for buying your first horse but, I think there is so much more.

I personally don’t mind waht class I am in so long as my horse is also enjoying itself. Right now I have a mare that everyone cries western over. Yet, she thinks she is a park horse.

I might try hunter. But, college classes beckon. This may be my last year to show. BooHoo. Anyway, Thanks alot I am learning new things every day. Now if only you could get a weeks trial when buying a horse?? That would be cool.

8. denu220 says:

I’m with ya on the one-week trial thing…kinda like buying a new saddle, lol. Okay, last tidbit—no extra charge :0 If you have an opportunity to request a pre-purchase vet exam (I don’t know if sales allow that ’cause I never bought from a “sale”) and don’t really know the sellers, you might consider having blood drawn as part of the pre-purchase exam. It’s more expensive, but if you or your trainer don’t know the sellers you don’t know what the poor horse could have been injected with to make him/her look good just for you… I didn’t come up with this on my own; my trainer thought of it.
    Riding and college? Guess what—I STARTED riding lessons in college!!! It was part of my physical education requirement. That was 30 years ago (*blush*). You’re life’s just starting, kiddo :) Good luck in school, too!