Cantering and Finishing the pass

I really have two questions.

One is:  Do you get deducted points if you have to turn your horse into the rail to get the correct lead?

Two is:  Is it okay to finish your pass before transitioning to the next command.  My daughter was taught to always finish the pass before for example transitioning from the canter to the walk.  Do you only have so much time before you are penalized?

7 Responses to Cantering and Finishing the pass

1. your_starr says:

We always teach our students to finish their rail or pass before transitioning down. Most horses will stop straighter and better if they are on the rail or heading into a corner. This also sets them up for the next transition and prevents alot of horses from trying to dive into the middle. I think as long as turning them to the rail isn’t extreme, then there is no penalty for it. Its pretty common with your SS horses and becoming more common with western/hunt horses also. But your really well broke animals should be able to grab a lead from anywhere in the ring.

UGH…here is a real pet peeve of mine! I don’t think it should ever be acceptible for a western horse to turn into the rail to canter. Transitions should be a HUGE factor in determining the quality of a western horse.

In other disciplines it makes it look as if the canter transition was never taught properly and the rider must resort to “throwing” the horse into the gait. It just looks very sloppy and gives the impression that the horse is difficult, not completely trained, or that the rider is lacking experience or ability.

As to the first question. ALWAYS finish your passes…unless it would land you square in a big cess pool of trouble.

3. Anonymous says:

I teach my riders to finish their pass unless there is a pile at the end of the rail. I don’t mind them walking the last third of the rail or so, as long as they didn’t poop out on a good pass in front of the judge. As for canter starts, I think it is prudent to turn the horse’s head. We show alot of young horses and I think it’s pretty important to get it right, even if I have to help them out a little bit. A bad lead can lead to a pile up in the ring and a bad experience. In today’s world it is more and more common that 4 and 5 yr old horses are being shown by their Jr or ama riders. This means that they are not the ultimatly finished product yet…after all, we’re only talking 1-2 show seasons with a professional at best before becoming an ama mount. Again, I think getting the right lead is pretty important to not create a frazzled horse or rider, so to take that extra step is a no brainer to me. Granted, having to “throw” one into it is not a goal, but to move their hips to the inside (often acheived by turning their head to the outside)is part of the cue in my mind. In a fully finished perfect world I’d say it isn’t necessary, but sadly I don’t often get to live in that world:)
    Stacy

4. learning says:

So you don’t have to worry about a time limit on when the command is given and when the command is obeyed? It is not like a three second rule or anything.

Also, it sounds like you don’t get marks against you for turning your horse to the outside to get him on the correct lead.

5. A) Finish your pass every time you have a good opportunity to.

B) I think it depends on the division. I hate it in a ladies class, but don’t mind it at all in a Junior horse class, for example. Stacy’s point about the amateur horses being so at such a young age is a very valid one. You will be penalized FOR SURE for a wrong lead, and not so much, if at all, for a tipped to the rail departure. If you personally dislike it, straight line lead changes really straighten a horse out. I do them constantly as a regular training exercise for all of my show horses that are past 6 months of saddle work.

6. Anonymous says:

No time limit:)
    Stacy

7. learning says:

Thanks for your comments. I love watching the classes and trying to pick the winner. I am really terrible at it. I have read the judges handbook so know the basics of what they are looking for even if I don’t understand some of the terms. It certainly wasn’t written for the novice to understand. It almost needs a glossary of terms or a dictionary with it.

Shackled way of going? Any motion or action resulting from shoeing should be penalized? How do you figure that one out? Anyway at least I know two more things that I didn’t before.