advice on saddles for training

Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice on purchasing a saddle?  I am looking for an english cutback saddle that is good for training and showing.  I’ve heard the Shively saddles are great but was wondering if anyone could recommend other brands that are not so expensive.  Has anyone ever polled trainers on their favorite saddles?

Thank you!

7 Responses to advice on saddles for training

1. denu220 says:

Last year, I purchased a Windsor Aristocrat from Hartmeyer’s and LOVE IT. The saddle is comparable to the Shively in many, many ways but costs $1,000. less. I highly recommend it!

2. bella says:

Freedmans is what we have…..

3. mrsfire says:

The Shively MMX is the cadillac of saddles. You should be able to find a used one on ebay or tack stores.

4. Anonymous says:

I personally like the Shivley 2000. Check http://www.trot.org under there classifieds. Usually you can find great deals on used saddles there. Good luck-

5. leslie says:

I’m actually a big fan of Barnsby, but the only saddles they make now are the Shivelys (or so I hear…maybe someone could verify that). I’m a fan of the Shively 2000, too, but people tend to hang onto those so they’re harder to find used, and if you buy them new I think you’re paying for the name.

I have a Crosby and I don’t really like it. It’s more slippery than most saddles and I feel like it pitches me forward. But it’s also an inch too short for me, I think, so I can’t bash the brand based on my experience. I got a really good deal on it, and it’s in good shape, so I’m hoping it’ll have some resale value for when I have some money kicking around and find the 22″ Barnsby of my dreams.

Barnsby – hands down. I would give my right arm for the one I rode in as a Jr. Exhib. About 10 years ago, I was able to purchase a new Barnsby through Hartmeyers. Even though I do not forsee myself riding SS in the future…I will not part with it “just in case.” They are too difficult to replace. Ebay sometimes has used Barnsbys that run through. You can also check the different tack dealers that carry SS equip.

7. moore701 says:

thanks for the info everyone! One more question: what is the best way to measure for saddle size. think i need a 21 or 22 but not sure