How do we create more Breed interest?

So I didn’t want to hijack the thread about the AMHA’s new branding, but I thought a couple of posters made some great points.  I wanted to expand on those points and add a few more here.

How can we create interest in our breed? Why don’t we have a lot of new “outsiders” changing over to Morgans or taking a look at them as a horse they’d like to own or show?

Well here’s what I can see, as both a competitor, breeder and owner.  I also live in a “Morgan Deficient” area that caters to the hunter/jumper/dressage world or the QH’s, so allow myself to see our breed through outside eyes…

I meet alot of ppl while trail riding or while riding at the local horsepark.  They all have questions when they see me ride my Morgan…”Is that an Arab?”, “Why do you make your horse carry it’s neck like that?”, “Is your horse young (as she blows/snorts at everything…she’s eight, btw)?”…”THAT’S a Morgan? I thought they were plow horses!”…

New horse owners are attacted to quiet, beautiful horses that they can hop on and ride (the majority of new horse owners are Baby Boomers).   We have a shortage of these – overbreeding to obtain the elusive park horse has flooded our breed with hot horses w/poor conformation that cannot compete in their intended discipline, so the end up in HP or WP.  When outsiders watch these classes, they think “oh, a discipline I recognize”.  But then they see the weighted shoes, full bridles in HP and cookie cutter bay horses snorting around the ring and occasionally acting a lil’ silly.  While that is completely normal to us Morganites, the outsiders are getting turned off.  They don’t see themselves on these “hot” horses.

Let’s breed and compete Morgans that were developed to do a job.  The types we were all raised on that went in multiple classes and were totally tractable enough to be asked to do so.  Breed THOSE horses, and we will have people LOOKING for Morgans, instead of passing over them for a QH.  Just as another poster said, we don’t have enough quiet, safe Morgans.  We all love a great EP or Park horse.  But this breed is VERSATILE – don’t breed only for saddleseat!  Some people just want a good “usin’ hoss” – the Morgan used to be that, but we have allowed the QH to take over that realm.  These bloodlines still exist…use them!

Let’s make our shows user-friendly again.  Where is the comraderie of the 80s and 90s?  Showing used to be fun, not a chore…we shouldn’t have to spend so much money to get a horse in the ring to “compete”.  Why must we have weighted shoes on our more entry-level classes (HP/WP), and expensive outfits to “compete”?  I understand that trainers make the shows profitable, but common sense would say to make shows end on Sundays again, so that Amateur Joe doesn’t have to take off of work for a whole week to compete at a 3 day show!! There are alot of us out here that REALLY want to show and have the money to do so, but the schedules need to be adjusted for us folk that have a 9-5.

Let’s create interest by involving youths!  I got into Morgans by riding at a local lesson barn that was active in the AMHAY Horsemastership Program and 4-H.  This breed will only get passed to the next generation if you involve them and teach them what is CORRECT in all aspects of horsemanship, and how to judge what they see (and not what’s in style).

With a new re-branding on the horizon, why don’t we all take a look at our programs and see what we can do to get more non-morganites involved.  Show locally, host an open barn, host seminars and introduce your local horse community to the real Morgan Horse.  Not the “plow horse, “fat arab” or “fake saddlebreds” that way too many ignorant horseman depict them as.  Prove them wrong with your short (fun-sized!), beautiful and charismatic MORGAN!

34 Responses to How do we create more Breed interest?

1. I agree almost entirely with your points. Just another observation: How practical does it seem to own a hunt or western pleasure horse whose tail drags 2 feet behind them? Yeah, it is beautiful in the park/fine harness classes, but a hunter at least should give the appearance of a “usable” horse.

2. jjoker says:

I think local shows and the bigger open show are where it needs to start. I know this may sound crazy but talk to people from other breeds see what doing to attract people exchange ideas. The morgan is a wonderful breed and i believe can sell its self. The more people are exposed the better chance you will have. The equine affair is a great place to promote. The vesatile morgans are out there I just think it hard to get some of the top horses to open shows cause of the limited classes that are offered.

3. morganrider says:

I too agree with all the comments above. I also think an effort needs to be made by the powers that be to keep the shows affordable. I attend 5 shows per season including New England. Next year because of all the economic distractions both public & private I will have to downsize. I can’t imagine the sticker shock 1st timers feel when they initially test the horse show waters.

4. Peppermintpatti says:

You words sure hit home JustFineThankYou! I live in Tennessee and almost nobody knows what morgans look like. I get the same “oh you have draft horses” or the total opposite “what cute ponies”. The last one coming from my hunter/jumper friends. My horses are all at least 15 hands and we even have one that is 16 hands. Our 16 hand chestnut competed at Nationals in WP and stuck out in most classes as very different from the other smaller bay horses. Don’t get me wrong my other wp horse is a beautiful bay. I appreciate all types and looks of the breed.

I plan on being more proactive and getting my horses out to local open shows. The last time we went, we had a hard time finding classes that fit them. We ended up taking our big hunter pleasure horse in a gaited class, it was too funny. People crowded around wondering where in the world did this horse come from and what breed is it.

If we could all try locally to introduce our morgans to the public, I am sure people will see just how versatile they really are. I noticed the Cochran auction had several horses that sounded great for trail and family fun. These horses had been in many parades and weddings. There are Christmas parades coming up, get out and show the world your beautiful animals. We must all start small to do our part to grow
    this breed. Coming together and supporting one another is a step in the right direction.

5. jns767 says:

Here, here!! I agree wholeheartedly! I am actually a convert from QH’s. From the time I was born until about 13 my mother had QH’s, we would trail ride allll over the place and even attend an open show or two. When I was about 12 I discovered a Morgan farm and once I saw those beautiful, flashy, talented horses, I sold my QH and have never looked back. Even my mom is sort of leaning to the Morgan side ;). I think that it’s sooo important to keep the Morgan versatile and am afraid that the breed is beginning to emulate Saddlebreds too much….yikes! Personally I love a big thick Morgany neck and a beautiful dishy Morgan face ala Troutbrook Playboy :).

6. IED says:

Yikes… I foresee this thread causing some controversy.

RE the hunters, I *adore* the way they are now. Honestly, I find QH and open hunter classes so darn boring; even the Arabs are kinda boring – the motion and the EXCITEMENT of the newer strain of horse is what makes this division for me. I’ve always been a hunter girl and loved the ‘park’ hunters – I think it’s a great representation of what a Morgan is, first and foremost, and a hunter second. Traditionally, the Morgans have always had more knee action than their QH or TB counterparts, even back in the day when they were trotting and plow horses.

In today’s world there is no choice but to specialize. A western horse is put together completely different than a hunter, and a hunter differently than an English horse. I don’t see it as a bad thing; I think of it as evolution. The hunter classes are booming, the western classes are big, and you can’t scoff at the English classes either – at the GN the Amateur and Ladies classes were HUGE!

I have met quite a lot of people who are inherently interested in the Morgan because they like a horse who’s pretty and exciting but still does his or her job. I don’t consider the majority of Morgans unsafe to ride, even for a new amateur. There is a ‘hot’ English horse at my barn who has won all over the place this year and if he gets someone on his back who’s not quite as advanced, he moves on eggshells.

I say we look at the Arab world. There is extreme specialization within that breed (hunters are hunters, English horses are English horses, the end) and their business is booming. But… everyone knows what an Arab is, they advertise in all the non-breed mags (Equestrian, PH, etc) and they welcome newcomers with open arms. Plus it’s easy to find an Arab barn in your area (for the most part, compared to Morgan barns – usually a decent one is a couple of states away).

I have introduced my Morgans to the public in the past. Right now, I’m not really in a position to do so. In Minnesota, there is the Horse Expo, and there is ALWAYS a Morgan representation there. The interest is huge.

As an aside, I think the Saddle Seat industry, which is inherently misunderstood, accounts for a portion of why we are not seeing the newcomers the other breeds are. A person ‘gets’ a QH because it’s not flashy or high-stepping. A high stepping horse, to the uneducated, is ‘unnatural’. Not to mention that the saddleseat industry in general is in the pooper, what with the TWH controversies and myths about how terrible weighted shoes and long tails and chains and things are. It’s a stigma that, as a whole, we must work to rid.

7. Anonymous says:

I agree with the things that both IED & some of the others are saying. I agree with IED because I don’t really want some of things to change that other posters have said they want to. Like the “park hunters”. Yes, some of these horses are the result of shoeing but a TON of them aren’t. I ride a “park hunter” and I am telling you, it is all natural. He has never done anything except hunter pleasure. Most of the time he doesn’t wear shoes in the back & he wears fairly light shoes up front and he trots level and above all on his own. I think it’s a very cool aspect of the breed and I think that it is a traditional Morgan trait. The Morgan supposedly could outwork every other breed in just about every aspect and I think that’s what we have today. And while they’re doing all this, they’re freakin’ gorgeous! I am against fake tails but I am against what some others say about cutting tails. I don’t think there should be a limit. If these horses can grow naturally long, flowing tails why on earth would you cut them? It is a traditional Morgan trait to have long manes & tails.

I think the way our breed performs today is unique and beautiful and so much better than the rest. If people think that because they perform the way they do they are “hot”, instead of changing the way they perfrom, we need to show them that despite the way they look, they are not high strung animals, for the most part (every breed has bad apples).

8. Kate says:

I agree, if we changed the way the horses performed, we’d lose that excitement that sets us apart. I’m sure we’ve all had those moments when we’re watching classes that just give us goosebumps. I don’t think I’ve ever had one of those “goosebumps experiences” while watching any other breed besides the Morgan.

9. morganmonarch says:

One of the reasons that Morgans are the horse for me despite the fact that physically they may not be the best fit for my body, I’m 6 feet tall, Morgans still give me the goosebumps because they can be so flashy and have so much presence and we can all still have a nice safe ride. They are sensible, honest and generally kind horses. I think these are also some very important breed specifics that make them the wonderful horses they are and enables them to be so versatile. Even if they don’t show their versatility later in their show lives when the “hotness” has cooled to low simmer.

10. JustFineThankYou says:

I agree that the excitement that comes from watching a kick butt horse is what makes the Morgan a Morgan…but when that excitement is false or incorrect to the rules of a discipline, its lost for me.

And yes, Morgans are a high-stepping breed…then why can’t we let them be that instead of accentuating it with a full set of weights and pads (for $300 and limiting the horses’ turnout)? In my book, I get a lot more goosebumps when I see a nice Morgan moving off of all fours naturally. I’m not saying change the way they move, but let them be what they are, naturally.

11. your_starr says:

I will be the first to admit that I was most attracted to the morgans because of their big trotting, tail flagging ways. As a former H/J rider, I was extremely bored with the push button hunters. I love the park hunters because they’re flashy and eye catching but they still THINK. Morgans naturally have more action, and yes, through the years it has been enhanced. But we all know QHs didn’t start out as peanut rollers. Every breed evolves over the years. Thats when it is the industry breeders that need to either go one way or the other. Both the show horse and family horse can be part of the breed standard.

12. no name says:

I have been out of the show ring for many years and have been considering giving it a whirl again. First of all, I have always had Morgans and always will. I watched the World on my computer this year and scrutinized every class. I do agree that we were starting to show and look like Saddlebreds. Most of the park horses could trot like crazy up front but had nothing behind. Same for the english pleasure classes. As Morgan owners, WE have to take a step back and let our horses show where THEIR natural abilty is and not force them into levels that don’t become them. As morgan owners, our performance horses should be shown in our in hand classes. If they can’t show in hand, they shouldn’t be winning our classes. Our trainers should not be making the rules for showing, as we as a breed need to get the “family” back in Morgans.As stated before the costs of keeping and showing a horse can be out of most families reach. Especially, when they can only show in one division. Getting to the point of all of this…versatility. Something Morgans WERE known for. Stop the madness of the over weighted shoes, bands, and specialized breeding for that specific show horse and let our Morgans be able to show in more than one division, make it more enjoyable and affordable, bring back the fun and laughter in the barns, get rid of all the secrecy and cliques, let bring back the families of all income level and our breed will flourish.

13. Peppermintpatti says:

Oh I don’t think our horses look anything like saddlebreds. I came from the Arabian world and would never go back. I love the big moving hunters since they are “show horses”. Who wouldn’t love to ride Graycliff Miss Liberty?? The thing about my morgans is while they may have a big motor they are not flighty. I ride them in the ring and all over my farm, even in the river. There is nothing wrong with the saddlebreds or arabs, I see the beauty in them also.
    With that said, I wouldn’t ever change breeds. My morgans give me so much happiness, even the one who can always open all the gates at my place and let everyone out to explore. I have never seen such smart, people-oriented horses. I have had QH’s, Arabs and Poa’s but none of these other breeds have come close to being so special to me.

14. Jan says:

Last year RFD-TV had a one hour segment on featuring the Paso Fino Nationals. The narrator explained what was being shown at the moment, describing horse’s traits, individual qualities, etc. This was an overview of the week long show and was a nice introduction to anyone who would potnetially be interested in the breed. I had little prior knowledge or experience with pasa finos, but if I was interested in buying a horse, after viewing this show, I would certainly consider going in this direction. This network reaches alot of horse people and wannabees. I know it costs ALOT of money to produce such a program, but it may be a cost-effective way of getting the Morgan seen, and if people “see” Morgans,.. they can get “chosen”….After all…how many of us saw a horse being shown and said, “I want to ride that, too!

Jan,

You have a good point and idea.

Wouldn’t it be great if one of the classes highlighted is our Walk Trot Saddleseat division. I think that would help demystify the Morgan’s “hotness” for many outsiders and demonstrate that it is attitude and ring presence, not difficulty or flightiness that makes them showy…and that they are safe for even an 11 and under to ride.

16. leslie says:

“Wouldn’t it be great if one of the classes highlighted is our Walk Trot Saddleseat division.”

It’s probably not a big issue with RFD-TV, but just as a point of interest, I work for a publishing company that has a couple of all-breed horse magazines. It would be virtually impossible for us to profile the saddle seat walk trot division because of the enormous negative response that comes every time a helmetless kid on horseback appears in the pages. So now they just won’t publish those photos. It’s even spelled out in the photographers’ guidelines.

I suspect it’s only a matter of time before states start to require all riders under a certain age to wear helmets, but until then, how often to saddle seat instructors make their walk trot or leadline kids wear helmets?

But again, where RFD-TV is more western-oriented (or so I understand) they may not have the same kind of rules.

On a different subject, the new forums are totally neglected. This is the kind of topic that would probably be well-suited to the forums. Could we make the big leap and move it over there?

17. leslie says:

Scratch that last comment…I just looked at the forums again and realized there’s no section for general conversation, only shows and classifieds.

18. Anonymous says:

In response to the mention of RFD-TV..

Morgans Appear on RFD-TV
    Just a reminder that Morgans will be the subject of Rick Lamb’s “The Horse Show” to aire on RFD-TV, October 28 and repeated on November 1.
    The show will be an introduction to the breed and will include an interview with longtime Morgan breeder and owner, Art Perry of Intrepid Farms in Santa Ynez, California. Don’t miss it!

I would also like to comment on the above string..
    Bring back the fun is what I’m hearing, I’m sorry but if showing has lost the fun for you, as an individual, you probably shouldn’t be doing it. There are so many other ways to enjoy our morgans it doesn’t all have to be about showing.
    I ride a hunter and the only thing I would like to see get more emphasis in the ring is on manners! If you have a high stepper that has the manners to go with it, then you are blessed and should enjoy it and be rewarded. However if you have the in the hunter division, a mount that doesn’t have the manners that is part of the judging criteria(by the way), it balks, won’t flat walk, pins its ears, wings its tail, has issues with gait changes etc., then you shouldn’t be rewarded for it, just because they have an incredible one rail above level trot!

Just my opion, but lets follow the jusging criteria outlined for us.

19. Anonymous says:

Morgans Appear on RFD-TV

20. Anonymous says:

Part of the problem here is you don’t find many well trained morgan horses at a price that will compete with quarter horse prices. Why would I pay $8,000 to $10,000 for a well trained morgan when I can get a well trained quarter horse for $1,000 if all I want to do is trail ride?

Anonymous,

Ah, there’s the rub. Typically, your 8-10K well trained Morgan is a show horse, or was…and from a Morgan training barn. Given the small numbers of Morgan owners, most Morgan barns (at least in our area) are all show focused. So, their broke horses are “show quality” and more expensive.

Because our general numbers are so much lower that the QH population, we do not support a large number of non-show breeders or typical neighborhood horse traders. That is where you would find the trail broke, non-show quality, horses. To maintain any sort of income, a horse trader/local promoter that wants to deal in Morgans and earn a decent income has to focus on following the money trail…which leads back to the show people. That means show quality horses, with show prices.

To promote the breed to the non-show crowds buying broke horses for low prices, someone out there has to start offering them.

There are two ways I see that as a financially viable option. One would be if the dealer had stallions and mares on his property, and was able to do the training themselves. Any other route would lead to the overhead of stud fees and training expenses that quickly increase the dealer’s investment to the 8-10K mark.

The second would be for a person who is able to train horses to pick up stock at bottom auction prices (500-800 dollars), get them broke/trail safe in a short time, before expenses added up too high, and quickly sell them. With the prices of hay, grain and bedding on the rise…this leaves a very small window of time to train the horse and sell it, if the dealer wants to make a profit.

Another possibility for the disparity between the breeds is the trickle down effect. Horses that age out…or flunk out of showing and get sold to progressive owners at progressively cheaper prices. Since the QH’s vastly outnumber Morgans, it is reasonable that they would have a much larger “trickle down” population that may account for the greater availability of such inexpensive broke horses.

22. Anonymous says:

I think your “trickle down” theory is quite accurate. If you are buying a trained ANYTHING…Arab, Morgan, QH,grade horse…someone, somewhere lost money on it…I promise. However, the QH world has alot more people breeding/training in high numbers. Therefore, if you breed say 20 babies a year and get them all broke and 2 become high dollar horses, 10 make a small profit,3 pay their way, then the 5 left over are “throw away” meaning any money you get for them is good enough to make it worthwhile to get them off the books. Morgans don’t have these kind of numbers to absorb such losses and I’m not sure we should aspire to. That said, a trained, sound, responsible QH around here isn’t available for under $3-4,000.00 and you can come across a Morgan for the same.
    I think education on the SS discipline is very necessary…most condemn what they don;t understand. The majority of trainers I know in our breed love these horses and would not commit acts of cruelty. Clearly, there is some opinion in it, but the more educated one is the more we may all see things similarly and open up a whole new world.
    Stacy

23. Anonymous says:

OOPS…I meant to say that if you are buying any TRAINED horse for $1000.00!
    Sorry
    Stacy

Stacy,

I agree on the need for SS education. Years back when my friend’s brother was active in a draft horse club, we would take our Morgans on trail rides with draft and QH people in the off season…in our cut-backs. (I still find it the most comfortable saddle to ride in!)

Anyway…the non-Morgan folk would see us unload these snorty horses and tack up. The laughing would begin…followed by the bets on how long we “silly broads” would stay on through the 3-4 hour ride. Then came the comments of how they couldn’t wait to see the “snort taken out” of the horses after the ride.

Well…both horses not only finished the ride, but went through all sorts of streams and obstacles that had QH’s shying. When they both turned the last corner and saw that we were headed into a riding arena (there was a party and event after the ride…held at a local open show grounds), our horses picked their heads up a bit higher…tails went up…and they pranced towards the waiting crowds.

Well…those old cowboys shut up pretty quick when they saw what a fun, and easy time we had with our “fancy horses” and were amazed at the stamina and attitudes they both had.

Oh…did I forget to mention that one of the “good old boys” ended up using (and favoring) my fancy show horse as a cattle penning mount when his QH had a lameness issue? …another story for another time!

25. Anonymous says:

You are both right about the trickle down effect. It does play a factor. Just the sheer number of quarter horses that are out there does mean if you want to sell any you may have to go cheap. I know there are many QH’s that sell for really good prices also.

Another thing is that people that are use to paints and QH’s slow moving ways think the high stepping morgans and saddlebreds are high strung and look wild. They only see the animated show presence and not that same horse back at the barn wanting a treat or a pat.

I also noticed that morgan owners tend to favor breed shows and Class A shows over the open shows. I think this is a serious error on the part of the morgan owner. If you want to get a breed known you should be doing some open shows at least. Draw the new morgan owner in that way.

Anonymous,

I, for one, avoid the open shows because of the very reason I should be there. They don’t understand the breed. Most open show judges are QH people…or worse, 4H moms who think they know how to train a horse because they bought a Parelli tape. The best you can hope for is to get lucky with an Arab judge. It is a hard sell to get a qualified Morgan trainer to load up the trailer and head down the road to the local open show with no paybacks, no stabling, and the chance that a stock Appy-cross (not that there is anything wrong with them) might beat your OKC quality show horse!

Can you just see the trainer trying to explain that one to their client…ROTFLMAO

27. JustFineThankYou says:

Colwilrin…I’ve been down that road…a few yrs ago I took my Classic/HP horse that I’d just earned two top GN top fives on, to a local show the month after we returned from OKC, for fun.

I got beat by almost everyone in the Eng.Pls classes…I had to laugh. BUT…I had a lot of ppl come to me and ask about my horse, which gave me the opportunity to tell them about the Morgan…and they were very impressed, they were just scared to say so on the rail w/all the other unfamiliar ppl.
    At the end of the day, I talked to the judge about my “mistakes (head too high, too much action,etc)”…I explained to the judge how MORGANS are judged and my recent placings at OKC…the judge turned red in the face, apologized and thanked me for explaining what is correct for in the morgan breed.

28. your_starr says:

We used to take our students to open or 4h shows for their first time out. They would usually have good clean rides, but almost never did well because the judge had no idea what they were looking at. Now we stick to the academy type shows just because thats really the only place our horses are judged fairly. In order to have more morgans at those types of shows, judges need to be better educated. 4H rules are very stock horse biased and make it hard for our show type horses (be it arabs, ASB or morgans) to compete.

29. IED says:

I agree on the Open Show judging. We occasionally take our horses (from a rather well known training barn) to open shows in the area and you just have to go in knowing that you’re probably not going to win, no matter what kind of a ride you have. But, sometimes it is necessary, either for schooling the horse or introducing riders to the show ring.

I like showing because I’m inherently competitive and like making my horse look pretty. It gives us something to work toward. If a Morgan who has a fantastic go, ESPECIALLY as a hunter, is not used at all, then you have your answer as to why there is low attendance for those types of shows. We have shown a few Morgan hunters at open shows and the judges just have no idea what to do with them. They’re too up to be a hunter – to them they look like saddle seat horses wearing the wrong tack!

30. Kelly says:

A quick note, for me anyways I can get a generalist QH sold quicker and for more money then a generalist morgan. I think we (sellers) of morgans need to acknowledge our breed is different and unique then a QH and market that. That being said it is those points that make the breed (on average) more difficult to sell. Size (small) and forwardness, Josephine Public who struggles with her riding abilities and confidence struggles riding a typical forward moving morgan.

Kelly in california

31. leslie says:

While we can envy the AQHA for its popularity and success in marketing its horse to amateurs, the side effect is that there are huge numbers of QHs going through the slaughter auction. The AQHA is a very vocal supporter of slaughter because there are plenty of foal mill breeders within the membership.

I’m fine with the Morgan breeders being highly selective (aka responsible) and only breeding for show-quality animals rather than flooding the market with mediocre horses, even if it means they’re going to be more expensive. The fact that we’re a long way from reaching the millions of registrations the AQHA has also means that we don’t have as many horses falling through the cracks.

I bought my Morgan with a QH price tag. He’s a well-bred, quality Morgan, but he was 15-years-old when I bought him. His Grand National days were probably behind him by that time, but he’s taken me to lots of blue ribbons at local shows and been my buddy, and that’s all I need.

If you can afford to show seriously on the Morgan circuit, you can probably afford a more expensive horse. But if you’re like me and never expected to go that far, you can find relatively affordable Morgans.

Leslie,

Well put.

In relation to your statements, I have noticed that a good amount of non-show stock has been on the internet recently being disbursed for various reasons. Most notably the current economy. These horses have been advertised for months, and the prices have been discounted as time goes on. It seems that they are not moving and I thought the industry was in a terrible slump.

***For the purpose of this post, I am defining “non-show stock” as horses that have not been shown, and/or who are from breeders/breeding stock that are not participants at A-rated, Regional and World level shows***

However, at the GN, show horses/prospects were bought and sold for good prices. Those who brought horses there with the thoughts of selling seemed to find buyers and were able to get what they were asking.

It appears that the transfers of show stock have been less affected by the recent economic climate, and its hammering of the equine industry than our non-show oriented counterparts. Where a non-show animal is having difficulty being sold at under 1000.00…some show horses are still changing hands in the 5-6 figure range and young prospects for at least the stud fee.

This is an interesting trend for the industry to watch as the economy (hopefully) improves.

33. Anonymous says:

Colwilrin,
    .. talking about selling

Did you sell yours?

34. learning says:

Another thing I thought of was giving your old International Morgan Horse connection and your Morgan Horse magazines to 4-H clubs or schools in your area. Horse crazy kids love looking at horse magazines and what better way to get them exposed to beautiful horses and people by giving them the opportunity to read or look at the pictures in these magazines. You never know where it can lead and it would expose the morgan to a wider audience.