Turn out the lights…The Party’s Over

Is anybody else out there absolutely EXHAUSTED?  What a week.  What a show.  I rolled into my driveway at 3:30pm on Monday after traveling for about 24 hours.  I promply hugged my kids, petted my dogs, fed my horses and then fell asleep on the couch.  I went to bed at 9pm, got up in the AM to put my kids on the bus and then fell back to sleep on the couch until 10am.   Today I went to see my Miss Scarlet at the boarding stable, bought a rabbit cage and then was too tired to go to the grocery store to refill my fridge (good thing my kids like PB&J!!).

The Grand Nationals, once again, was a show to remember.  In the relatively few years I have been attending I think there were more Park Horses hitting the ring for the Championships than I have ever seen.  Not all the classes were big but over all I think there was great representation for all the divisions.

Since I actually had a filly being shown In Hand I paid more attention to that division this year.  I was very impressed by the number and quality of horses.  I also had a big reality check.  An exhibitor always thinks his/her horse is beautiful but once I saw the horses coming into the ring I quickly realized how many OTHER beautiful young horses are out there too.  My little girl did very well and I was proud of her (she is still for sale, however… Hint, Hint)

I think one of the big winners this year was Copper Beach, LLC and its owner, Anne Hailey.  She had quite a show and many of the horses bearing the CBMF prefix were donning Blue Ribbons.  Although I don’t know her personally, it is my understanding that she has worked very hard for many years to develop a strong breeding program.  If the 2008 Morgan Grand Nationals is any sort of indicator, she has reached this goal and is now well on her way to producing many future World Champion Morgans.

All in all it was a very enlightening week, full of watching great horses, talking with old friends and making new aquaintances.  I hope everybody out there is recovering from their trips (and their FUN–for those of you that went to Club Rodeo!).  I know I will be going to bed early tonight and maybe, just maybe, I will actually get something done tomorrow!

15 Responses to Turn out the lights…The Party’s Over

1. kad says:

I’ll deny this to the end if anyone ever asks but – I too am exhausted and I didn’t even spend the entire week there. I talked to or saw several attendees today and NONE of them sounded or looked very perky. What does all of this mean???? It has nothing to do with our age, thank goodness! Yes, my glass is always half full.

2. amie9191 says:

I caught my flight on Sunday morning and hit the couch as soon as I walked in the door to my house!

Thankfully my finace was on hand to drive to PA on Monday and pick up my new horse (I had him trailered from Oklahoma).

I already can’t wait untill next year though!

3. blondie says:

I remember reading your post about looking for a new horse, please tell us , who did you purchase?

4. amie9191 says:

I purchased “Walk the Line” he’s a 2 year old by Mizrahi and out of a French Command daughter……he’s a cool guy!

5. blondie says:

Is he western? I think I recall you were looking for a western horse.

6. amie9191 says:

He acts like he wants to be a western horse so far……I’m going to “steer” him in that direction and hope that he likes it.

I think he got the French Command laid-back disposition :-)

Congratulations on your purchase! Was he shown at OKC? If so, what classes? He sounds really neat.

French is always a good pick when looking for a western horse. They all have that lovely head that looks so pretty in silver.

Sounds like we’ll be looking for you in the Jr. Horse classes next October!

8. amie9191 says:

No he wasn’t shown at Nationals….just went there so my hauler could take him home.

I hope I can have him ready for the 3 year old class next year….lots of hard work ahead!

Lots of hard work…but oh, so rewarding when you watch them learning and growing. My favorite part is watching the young ones developing their potential.

I’m sure you’ll do a great job. Best of luck and have FUN with him!

10. anonymous says:

me too!I think the excitement of OKC certainly tired everyone out!

I am exhausted. We flew in Sunday afternoon and I am still trying to catch up on my sleep. Funny, horse showing is the one vacation that you need a vacation afterward!

Alicia, I walked by your stalls several times and noted you seemed to have a good show. Which one of your clients got the Reserve WC???…I saw the neck sash out on your display.

12. bella says:

Colwilrin

I walked by Judys stalls a few times and did not see you. But I did see you out with your hunter in the ring (cute!) and with your western guy in the ring, nice job and huge classes!!!
    Michele=)

13. bella says:

I mean Jeff and Amys stalls….wrong barn, sorry

Bella,

Thanks! We had a great time. I am very proud of how far my “little” hunter boy has come with just 6 months training. We bought him at the signature sale, and weren’t quite sure if he’d be ready to make the trip to OKC. He still needs a lot more endurance and cadence…but he is at the stage right now where he is like a great dane puppy, running on linoleum…legs everywhere!

I can’t wait until next year to go to more shows with him! Which ones are you planning on going to? OKC is barely over, and I can’t wait until next season!

15. liz says:

Walk the Line is a very kool guy….I think you’ll have alot of fun and sucess with him!