Warning – thieves at OKC

I just got a call from our trainer.  Their truck was broken into last night.  It was in the hotel parking lot.  Please do not leave any valuables unattended.  Even locked vehicles are not safe.

Update:  Just found out that our trainer was not the only one.  About 10-12 vehicles got hit.  It was in the Saddleback Hotel lot.

8 Responses to Warning – thieves at OKC

1. your_starr says:

thats ridiculous that people are preying on the exhibitors. hopefully they catch these jerks.

I sent an email off to the OKC Visitors and Conventions Bureau. Since OKC also hosts many other WC shows, they really should be looking after the thousands of out of town guests who pump revenue into their city…expecially since they have invested so much in the wonderful remodeling of the grounds. I suggest other people who have been effected by the crime do the same.

Maybe the next phase should be to build a razor wire fence around the grounds and have security gates to get in and out!LOL

More realistically, I think they should be able to identify when show people are arriving, where they are staying, and to increase the patrols accordingly. The criminals seem to have no difficulty figuring out our schedules…why should law enforcement?

On the positive side…the fairgrounds security did shoo some people away who were casing cars in the fairgrounds lot…so at least they seem to be on alert.

3. akasha413 says:

It is not uncommon for this to happen, unfortunately. Friends of ours had their utility trailer stolen from the Embassy Suites parking lot a few years ago and I’ve heard numerous stories of cash taken from wallets (but they left the purse/wallet), video cameras, saddles, etc stolen from stalls. Don’t leave cash in the dressing rooms. Saddles can be claimed under your homeowner’s insurance, but cash can’t!

I just got a great tip from my brother.

A lot of people carry their cell phones with them while they are out and about. He suggested to use the phones to snap pictures of any suspicious individuals.

If you can’t access the picture function quick enough, or don’t have the camera option on your phone, pretend. Make sure they see you doing it. It will make them know you are suspicious and think you have a good picture to ID them if anything is missing. Hopefully that will be a deterrent.

5. bella says:

This worries me headed to OKL for our first time, I keep hearing more and more about this type of occurence there.

6. akasha413 says:

Bella, don’t be worried, be aware. I live in downtown Chicago and I was robbed in a revolving door. I didn’t stop going through revolving doors, but I am aware of my surroundings now and if I see someone suspicious I wait and let them go first. You will have the most amazing, fantastic time at OKC and will see some of the best horses our breed has to offer. Enjoy and take it all in, just be smart and aware and it will be a memory to treasure!

Janelle Schroeder

This is really cool. It is the answer I received from the OKC Vistor’s Bureau. It was nice to have such a quick response, with a phone number to call if needed.

I have been forwarded your e-mail. There will be extra patrols in the area of I-40 and Meridian, particularly around the hotels and dining establishments during the coming week. We also work closely with the Security staff and officers assigned on the Fairgrounds property. We will do our best to keep the people attending the show as safe as possible. If you have questions or if problems arise please feel free to contact me by e-mail or by phone (405-297-1103)

8. kad says:

I was there for a short time this week and heard that they are hitting cars in the fairgrounds lot as well. They hit Howie’s truck and got his computer as well as hit Jewels’ (the stall decorator guy)truck . There were several that got hit. Every year they warn you not to leave valubles in your stalls but this makes it rough – you can’t even lock things up these days! Some people suck!