Need quick info!!!

Does anyone know if spurs are allowed in carry-on luggage?

Just got a call from the trainer that the spurs need to fly to Illinois with me!

10 Responses to Need quick info!!!

1. anonymous says:

i wouldnt risk it, people are getting busted for ridiculous things

2. Nightlife says:

Ship overnight, would be cheaper if you don’t have carry on.

3. denu220 says:

I’d call the airline, colwilrin. Of course, you can take nail clippers and scissors in your carry-on, so I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t allow spurs. The big DONT’S are lighter fluid and (obviously)firearms. You might be okay with the spurs, but I’d check with your carrier first (tell them the material they’re made from, etc.). Best of luck!

4. Busted says:

They are not listed on the TSA site as prohibited. I did get busted last year with bringing back a native american made fake arrow with a blunt rock at the tip for my kid. They had to do a criminal background check on me and everything.

If you get there early enough, you could ask the screeners, and ship from the airport if they won’t let you carry on. If you think you’ll be in a rush, I’d ship them rather than go through the hassle.

Yeah…I read about the allowed 4-inch-sharp-bladed scissors, knitting needles, and 7 inch screwdrivers…but heaven forbid we try to bring the bottle of saline solution along!

I am thankful for the attention to security, don’t get me wrong, but I just can’t figure out why somethings are “yes.”

Plan is to have them in a bag…and ask at check in. If they are allowed, great…if not, I’ll just check the little bag into the hull.

6. jk says:

Its funny what they will allow…

no saline, but I have brought knitting needles on a plane numerous times!

7. ErikaRose says:

Not sure if this is a new thing, but last time I flew (to New England actually) I was allowed to take a small bottle of saline on with me, it didn’t even have to be in a ziplock like the rest of the liquids you can take on). I put my spurs in my suitcase that I checked and didn’t have a problem.

8. denu220 says:

I think the liquid rule (what and how much) is directly proportionate to bomb-making materials and techniques :( Thank the terrorists for all your headaches…
    Sounds like a good plan, colwilrin! Good luck!

9. Windenhill says:

As long as you have them in your suitcase you’re checking and not in a carry-on bag, you should be fine!

In case anyone was wondering…here is the “spur” story…

I had them in a separate bag. Before I went to get my tickets, I asked a nice security officer if they would be allowed through. After he checked with 2 more officers, all looking stragely at a woman with nothing more than a laptop and bag of spurs for her luggage, they said “yes, they are OK.”

My friend and I proceeded to get our tickets from the Kiosk, and got in line for the security checkpoint.

Once at the security check point, we put our things through the scanner. We were both pulled aside for a more thorough check. Me, for the spurs…and my friend for a bottle of Jergens hand lotion.

After asking me what they were, the second nice security agent consulted with three more security people (one of which was a man named Greg, who I hung out with in high school, and hadn’t seen in 20 years!). Hushed whispers were heard with the occasional discernible “spur” mentioned. I was finally cleared to take them on the plane.

As I was walking away, Greg winked at me…looked at the other TSA agents and said “she always was a wild one!”

BTW…the Jergens hand lotion was confiscated…hope you all feel safer while flying!