Show Clothes

I ride in the hunter pleasure division and in the show ring you see so many different hunt coats and show shirts.  I have a couple nice jackets but they aren’t anything amazing. Sometimes I wonder where people buy all of these nice clothes. I know that some people get custom stuff but a lot of it is also store bought. I like the Elite by Grand Prix and for showshirts I like Essex Classics. I know R.J. classics has some nice jackets/shirts but not anything too far off from what I already have.

I wanted to know if you guys knew of any places that specialize in or sell hunt coats and/or show shirts. Preferably with websites but I’m interested in all suggestions. I’m talking about places besides the ones everyone knows like Dover, SLT, rj classics… I just want to know of any good places to buy

12 Responses to Show Clothes

1. bella92290 says:

I was wondering the same thing, I found a place, Countryside I believe at Mass Morgan and she makes affordable custom jackets, so I might get my daughter one there for next season. I will get the website for you.

2. Peppermintpatti says:

Hey, I know a lot of people are getting them custom made now. I love Marsha, she does my western and saddle seat clothes and also does custom hunt coats. They are not much more than some of the companies like Grand Prix. She also offers more stylish shirts if you just want to jazz up your more traditional coats.

3. Stacy says:

Bevals:)

4. Kandinski says:

Hartmeyer has some good stuff. I got way too many hunt shirts there last OKC and they are all very unique.

5. mpe511 says:

Some of the most colorful and comfortable shirts in the hunt division are Van Teal. The chokers on these shirts are customized with the design of your choice and always look very classy.
    You can find several of the selections at: http://www.vantealshirt.com/index.htm

6. Merlcann08 says:

I picked out material to have a coat custom made along with a shirt. Van Teals are very nice shirts, also. This will be my first custom hunt coat. I have two other coats, one for in hand and one for riding, and have been lucky to find inexpensive unusual colors, chocolate/copper, and olive herringbone, off the rack.

7. joyce says:

While Van Teal shirts are marvelous, she went out of business a few years ago. We used to carry her line in our shop and I had several of them and a custom jacket as well. Unless someone has taken over the business and restarted it I think you can only find Van Teal shirts at shops that stocked up at her going out of business clearance. I believe Hartmeyer has a ton. RJ Classics does make a great jacket, especially if you are trying to fit a child. Sometimes they can be tricky (short and stocky, tall and thin etc) to fit.
    MJ Selincka (sp?) out of Ohio makes custom clothes and she does hunt stuff. She makes clothes for Crystal, Taylor River, Rosewood and others.

8. mpe511 says:

I think someone has taken over the Van Teal shirts. Sorry the first link did not work here is another…http://www.vantealshirt.com/.

9. anonymous says:

I would like to also add some praise for MJ! She is an amazing tailor and makes great custom outfits at very reasonable prices. She will alter anything made by anyone, or make you something completely unique and GORGEOUS! I would strongly recommend her for hunt or western clothes.

10. ErikaRose says:

Does MJ have a website?

11. garishar says:

You might want to look at Show Season of Scottsdale, Arizona. The Arab barn I used to ride at had some different yet tasteful huntseat clothes made there. I was very pleased with the quality of the saddleseat outfit I had made by them.

12. Jan says:

MJ does not have a website but she will meet with you at the shows she attends. If you are in the Ohio, Indiana, Michigan area, she may be able to visit you or make other arrangements. Her email address is emjay@hughes.net.