New Poll – Are you going to OKC?

With OKC coming, I thought it would be interesting to see how many of the viewers of AboveLevel.com are going to make the trip.  Please vote and if you have anything to add, comment on this post.

***The results from the last poll look very promising for the judging at OKC this year.  Of the 70 people that voted 56% (39 votes) said that they thought the judging would be fair and impartial, while  27% (19 votes) said that they did not think it would be fair.  17% of the voters (12 votes) were not familiar with the panel.

10 Responses to New Poll – Are you going to OKC?

OK…be honeest…did anyone else giggle at the last choice on the poll? I thought “boy, if you have no interest in OKC at all…you probably stumbled on the wrong website!” I think most Morgan show people, at one time or another, aspire to show at OKC.

2. jdenzel says:

Actually, my thought was, “why would someone vote if they have no interest?” Luckliy, no one has chosen that option. :>)

3. ErikaRose says:

We had planned on going to OKC this year, especially since it my last year in youth, but it is just way to expensive. We were hoping if we could get a horse or 2 sold that would help, but no luck there.

….I’m so bummed, I’m going to NYR but they don’t have a Youth English Pleasure, they have a youth hunter, but I don’t have a hunter. :*( I think this is a suckier feeling then graduating from jr. exhib lol!!

4. Anonymous says:

I was offered a ride but just can’t afford it. :( Maybe next year!

5. Karen B. Hertz says:

We are planning to go- my daughter and horse have qualified(again). It is terribly expensive, with fuel prices changing hourly.My trainer raises his show expenses so often, I am probably going to need to take out a loan!!. Our cost to attend Jubilee just went up $600( to $2500) just to go from Mich. to Illinois!!!. I know fuel prices change,but they have actually gone down a bit here lately. I work full-time and recently got a better job, JUST to pay our horse expenses. Does it really cost triple the cost of a month’s training & board to travel to a show one state away. Our trainer does everything themselves- no grooms,extra workers,etc. Comments,please- I’m possibly thinking of changing stables if these fee increases continue
    at such a rapid and last-minute pace.
    We also pay all at-show expenses as well, plus added on Hospitality and box seat. I laughed when a comment got made about shavings fees going up,therefore causing the show expense to rise. We PAY the shavings fee as part of the entry fees!. I’ll stop now-before my blood pressure goes up more.

K.H.

6. Black Eye Beth says:

Sounds like you are getting frustrated and I think many people share your pain. It is hard to pay for the increasing cost of EVERYTHING related to horses, either at shows or at home.

Before you change trainers, I would suggest you sit down and discuss your concerns with him/her. My horses are in Ohio and our show costs have gone up some due to gas, hay, shavings, hotel, food…but my trainers are very willing to go over what each cost is and why it has gone up. I may be wrong, but I would think that your trainers would be willing to go over your show bill to show you where your money is going. If you don’t receive an itemized bill as we do, then maybe ask them if they could start doing that.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and talk with them. If you aren’t satisfied or do not agree with their billing then maybe it is time for you to look into other options. Often, times, however, I think that open discussion can go a long way.

7. Merlcann08 says:

I was going to go, but my horse is green and needs more polish. We have never gone so are going to spectate instead this year.

8. Anonymous says:

I’ve qualified every year I’ve shown but have never gone because of the cost.

9. anonymous says:

I’ve qualified for a few years, but this will actually be my first year going! My parents actually had a decent year, moneywise, and we just sold a horse, so I’m going to be one of lucky ones showing! I really wanted to be able to show there before I aged out of equitation!

10. pduback says:

Unfortunately not going, you know the best made plans always seem to get messed up! Last Nov I started my plan of attending as a rider for this year! My first year as a master! I budgeted(not for the increase in fuel prices and every thing else however), did the extra hours at work so I would have comp time when I needed it, spend every minute of spare time at the barn preparing, endured all the added expense of full time training, extra equitation lesson, extra training shows etc.. I worked my butt off! The final day came for entries and I had to face reality and be the adult! With the unknown price of oil, and everything else this year; insecurity about my spouses job, he’s in construction, and the fact we need a new roof really bad, I ended up really disappointing my trainer and myself and backed out. I guess there’s always next year, however I just lost my brother to cancer at the young age of 50, a year ago this month, so I know life is short. On my way to work this morning I was thinking so ok not this year but next year, get a better financial plan together now! So that’s what I’m thinking about today. I hope all that are fortunate enough to attend, thank God for the opportunities offered to them, and wish you all the best! Go get em!