The finer points of classic pleasure driving or pleasure driving

Can anyone explain the finer point differences between classic pleasure driving and pleasure driving?  It looks the same to me?  How would you know which classes to put your horse in?

10 Responses to The finer points of classic pleasure driving or pleasure driving

1. Stacy says:

A classic horse should have rolling smooth stride…NO up and down. They should appear to glide, IMO. They should have smooth transitions and epitomize manners. Easy in the bridle (no strong horses, gaping mouths, heavy breathing)be pleasant to drive and HAPPY. They need to stand quietly and back easily as well. IMO some pleasure horses could be classic and some classic horses could be pleasure, but some simply scream one or the other to me and those are the good ones:) I like a classic horse with lots of Morgan expression and a pretty face as well. They can have a little less brilliance, but smoothness is of utmost importance to me in a classic horse.

2. Mocha Mom says:

Stacy has provided a great description of a Morgan classic pleasure horse. I would add the for me, MANNERS are paramount (assuming soundness.) That said, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that in my opinion, a good classic driving horse should not need a header in the line-up.

I agree with both descriptions, and want to add my personal “must have”. They must flat walk…and not like they are on egg shells. It should be pretty and in frame…but look relaxed with no hint of breaking.

4. Anonymous says:

Also, the classic horse is not as high stepping as the english pleasure horse. This is the order in which it goes from least high trotting to most- western, hunter, classic (though sometimes the hunters and classic horses are trotting at the same level), english pl, park.

5. morganrider says:

I’ve seen quite a few pleasuring driving horses going over to the classic division this past year. They don’t seem to have the “rolling smooth stride” that Stacy so eloquently described but are still pinning. Do you think this is just a judging preference?

6. anonymous says:

which leads us to the new divisions out this year…..the park hunter and park western….judging preference?

7. morganrider says:

Ha! :)

8. learning says:

Thanks for the comments Stacy. I went on youtube and checked out the pleasure and classic driving videos. So what I am understanding is a classic pleasure horse reaches out like more extended and an english pleasure horse has more of a shorter up and down motion?

Morganrider, I have to agree with you about the classic division last year. I think this is why I find it so confusing. I think the classic pleasure horses went down to hunt and the english pleasure horses that were not up to par went down to classic and changed the whole motion. I think the judges should be careful who they pin so they don’t wreck the whole division.

9. annonymous says:

From your mouth to God’s ear!

10. jjoker says:

They should be a pleasure to watch and show. I don’t mind the motion if it looks natural an easy as long as the transitions are smooth.
    the drivers should look as though there having fun and the horse should look like anyone with driving knowledge could drive it