Message From Sandy Sessink About Her Brother, Calvin Sessink

I received this message from a friend of Above Level.  It was written by Sandy Sessink to all of her and her brother’s friends in the Morgan community.

If we are very lucky, each one of us has a person in our lives who we automatically turn to when something
important happens, good or bad.  We are unconditionally drawn to that person for support just to get through everyday life.  My brother, Calvin Sessink was that person for me.  I would not be who I am in the horse business, or as a person were it not for Calvin.  As many of you know, Calvin passed away last night, June 24th.  He sustained devastating injuries after being struck by a large tree branch while working on his tractor here at Old Orchard Farm in Michigan.  The damage was just too much for his body to handle.

The following arrangements have been made to honor Calvin: Visitation will begin at 11:30 am on Saturday, June 28th at Phillips Funeral HomeA service will be held at 5:00 pm at the funeral home.A buffet gathering will follow at the South Lyon Hotel, adjacent to the funeral home.Phillips Funeral Home 122 West Lake StreetSouth Lyon, Michigan 48178; 248-437-1616.

In lieu of flowers the family and friends of Calvin would ask that you send donations to the AMHA Capital Building Fund in his memory.

The Capital Building Fund was established in 2007 to address repairs needed at the AMHA Headquarters in
Shelburne VT. Contributions in Calvin’s memory will be directed to repairs of the historical cupola that tops the facility, and a plaque will be placed in the foyer in Calvin’s remembrance.

Donation may be sent  to:
Julie Broadway
AMHA Executive Director
122 Bostwick Rd
Shelburne VT 05482

Make Check Payable to:
“Capital Building Fund’ and on the memo line include “In memory of Calvin Sessink”

My best to all of you,
Sandy Sessink

8 Responses to Message From Sandy Sessink About Her Brother, Calvin Sessink

1. renata erickson says:

Sandy –
    I just happened to google Calvin’s name and this popped up right away. I am so sorry for your loss. I consider myself blessed to have known him for the time he was here.
    Renata

2. connie Gosling says:

Sandy-
    I am so sorry about the loss of Calvin. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers and thoughts.
    He touched many lives and left us all better off for having know him.

Connie Gosling

3. Bob & Nina Sperandeo says:

Sandy, Bob and I were so sorry to hear about Calvin’s death. He was a kind and gentle man. All the years we spent at Old Orchard Farm, as clients and neighbors, are remembered fondly. You both made a little girls dream come true. On behalf of our family we send our most sincere condolences.

Bob and Nina Sperandeo
    Pony, Montana

4. Kristen Mastrofrancesco says:

Sandy, I am devestated to hear about the loss of Calvin. He was a great man who shared his knowledge with so many of us. He will always be in our hearts and never forgotten.

Kristen Mastro

5. Kevin McNeil says:

Sandy, So sorry for your loss. I don’t know if you remember me, but Calvin and I where great childhood and teen friends. I just heard about his passing and I was truly saddened by the news. I haven’t seen Calvin since the mid 90′s, we talk about the old times at the shows. He will be truly missed. I will always think about the good times that we had together. Sorry that I missed the funeral. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Kevin

6. Corinne Fry says:

Sandy
    It has been a very long time since we have talked. When I heard about Calvin my heart
    sunk, he will truly be missed by everyone.
    He was a very talented trainer. My thoughts
    and prayers are with you and your family. Our
    memories of Calvin will be with us forever.
    Corinne Fry

7. Erin (Shutz) Oldford says:

Sandy, I was so very sorry and saddened to hear about Calvin’s accident. I have so many wonderful memories of our times together at CinDar Farms and all the shows way back when!It seems like yesterday Calvin was giving me a “leg up” on my saddleseat mount “Schoolboy” and guiding me into the showring with some words of encouragement! He (and you!)is deeply embedded in my memories of growing up on the Morgan show circuit…Calvin was a school friend as well…I’ll never forget him. He was always generous and warmhearted. I know you will miss him terribly….Erin
    p.s I’m sorry I missed his memorial service. I didn’t hear the news until the afternoon of the service. I would have loved to have had the chance to pay my respects.

8. jeffery9430 says:

Dear Sandy,
    My condolences to you and your family. Growing up with Calvin at the horse shows has fond memories for me. What a kind soul he was. Always there with such a great and beautiful smile! He truly loved you and I know you had a great bond like no other. You were so lucky to have each other! My heart aches for you and your family. And I am so very sorry.

Sherry Hannan-Novak