This Week’s Poll-Gas Prices and Show Attendance

The rise in gas prices this Spring has been scary, to say the least.   I can’t say that I have been surprised that it has been  rising, but I do get a shock when I see it go up so much in a matter of days and not weeks as in previous springs and summers.

I have been wondering if exhibitors and trainers have had to adjust their show schedules as a results of the increase.   Please check out the poll and vote on whether you will be affected or not, or if it has changed the distance you will travel comment on this post.

6 Responses to This Week’s Poll-Gas Prices and Show Attendance

1. amie9191 says:

The price of gas has been a HUGE topic on a lot of the QH boards that I frequent. Personally the gas prices won’t stop me from showing (a horse with a bum leg will though :-( but that’s another story).

If it means that I can’t buy fabric to make a new show jacket or have to bring my lunch to work everyday then I will.

2. Merlcann08 says:

I voted no because I only campaign every 10 years :-0 Well, at least that is the way it has worked out since I’m an adult. I finally bit the bullet and sent my horse for training and want to have him finished. So he’ll be going to more shows than I’ve been to in the last 20 years combined. Oops, now I’m showing my age.

3. Jan L says:

I don’t plan on changing my horse show schedule even though it’s going to be much more costly to ship a horse as well as drive to shows. I am more careful with gas conservation in other ways at home, ie, driving more slowly, combining trips to town to shop, even mowing my grass less frequently this summer since my tractor is a diesel. I may even use my at home horse-mowers!

Jan L

4. Black Eye Beth says:

We are still going to the same number of shows, although we have arranged our schedule so that we attend ones that are a little closer to home.

I keep telling my husband that we are lucky we have horses that drive for when we can’t afford gas anymore…My retired Park Harness mare could be his little “sports car” that he takes to work (he would certainly get there fast, maybe not all in one piece, but fast!–so far he isn’t seeing the humor in my suggestion)

5. Mocha Mom says:

Gas prices are not effecting my horse show habits yet, but I too am trying to conserve in other ways. I’m now driving a tiny little “beater” car that my daughter has rejected because it gets much better mileage than my pick-up does. I try to carpool for getting to shows, and I’m thinking about getting one of those horse-drawn mowing machines that I see the Amish using on their front yards. Unfortunately, my father has borrowed my backyard driving horse to use in his carriage-driving pair, so that’s on the back burner for now. However, once gas gets so expensive that there is less traffic on the roads, it may be safe once again to use a horse to run errands around town. Won’t that be cool with a pair?

6. Show Mom says:

Gas prices are making me cringe. I’ve decided to truck my own horses to the shows and not use the trainer’s commercial hauler. I’m afraid what they’ve raised the prices up to and I’m only going to shows that my two show horses have the best schedule at the same show.