Custom Chaps?

I know most of the good saddleseat custom tailors, but need to find a reasonably priced place for western chaps….know of any good places?

Anyone deal with Rod’s before? They look like they might have some nice custom chap options…

Would also love to hear what preferences you all have…I’m leaning toward scalloped edges, and thats all I know lol. What material do you prefer?

8 Responses to Custom Chaps?

1. amie9191 says:

I like scalloped chaps although I think that might just come from my days of riding eq…either way I just think fringe adds too much movement.

I’ve had custom chaps made and they fit horrible and hung funky…..for the price I think you can’t beat Hobby Horse chaps….they lay really nice.

I prefer ultrasuede because I think the colors look deeper and more uniform.

2. erikarose says:

the only reason i was thinking custom was for color purposes..do you know if they will send swatches?

3. amie9191 says:

I’ve heard good things about the Rods chaps but I’ve never bought from them.

I’m not sure if hobby horse will send swatches.

What color chaps are you thinking of getting?

4. erikarose says:

brown, not sure if you remember the outfit I wore at Mason Dixon (deep brown/ivory top, and horrible brown chaps lol). All of the stock chaps I have looked at don’t even come close to the dark brown in my shirt and I am a matching freak they have to match lol it’s one of my pet peeves.

5. erikarose says:

I don’t normally like to put a lot of cream/ivory colors on my “orange” horses but what do you think it would look like if I did a lighter chap (that matches the lighter color of my top)? Then I would for sure need scalloped edges and some lunge lessons! lol
    (for refrence http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=04SQ00MM040006&po=6 )

6. amie9191 says:

I like the look of your outfit now. I’d be afraid that if you went with the lighter colored chap then it would make the outfit look “choppy”

I have such a hard time “seeing” the big picture….maybe you could mess around with the photo and make the chaps lighter and see how it would look.

7. Jan L says:

I like ultrasuede chaps for several reasons. They don’t stretch out as much as suede, are cooler in the hot summer, are washable and come in many colors. My preference is for a “slow” scallop, to minimize the distraction of flapping edges.

8. erikarose says:

Thanks Jan! I think I will for sure go with ultra suede.

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and when my mom is done with her crazy traveling schedual we are gonna head over to a tack shop that sells Hobby Horse clothes, and try on a few pair of chaps with my top to see where we should go from there. Nothing better then horsie stuff for your birthday :)