A New Poll Question is Up

I was wondering if there are people that ever considered becoming a show judge.  Comment on this post as to why or why not.  If you already are just answer “Yes” and tell us why you decided to become one.

8 Responses to A New Poll Question is Up

1. Black Eye Beth says:

I answered “no” to this question. I don’t feel that I have the expertise to be able to do that job. I also am not always good at being objective. That is something that is necessary in being a judge.

2. erikarose says:

I voted yes. I think going through the school, and to learn what is required is a great way to understand the breed that much more.

3. amie9191 says:

I voted yes…..maybe one day I will have a good enough eye to judge the great horses……I have a long way to go though!

4. Leslie says:

I enjoy watching horse shows, but I will admit that after a lot of classes on a warm afternoon I am bound to zone out a little bit. I’d like to think that if I was judging I’d be more on the ball, but who’s to say? Sometimes those sessions go on for a long time…

Also, watching some of those big hunter classes up here in New England, I wonder how anyone does it. When you have twenty nice looking bay horses with riders almost identically dressed going around you, how can you ever keep track of them all?

I am in awe of those who are able to judge and judge well, but I don’t think I’m cut out for it. That said, I think it would be really interesting to spend some time as a learner judge and find out what it’s like to be in center ring and how to compare horses to each other.

5. Black Eye Beth says:

I agree…it would be interesting to just stand in the center once or twice to see exactly what it is like. I have heard a couple of judges say how different it does looks from ground level in the center ring as opposed to on the rail or in the stands.

I think I would have the zoning problem too. Long sessions out in the hot sun must be so hard to do.

6. JC says:

I plan to attend a judging school to learn about the center ring perspective. Whether or not I take further steps to apply for a card, I’ll still be a more informed exhibitor for having attended.

I do wish the USEF Morgan rules were laid out with a “contrast and compare” table for people to quickly see differences between divisions in all aspects of judging.

7. Black Eye Beth says:

That’s a good idea. I never thought about attending a school session for just educational purposes only. I might have to put that on my list for the future.

8. kad says:

Given the time I would love to become a judge. I would really like the opportunity to futher my knowledge and education of the breed. I have judged a couple of small local shows and I found the challenge to be rewarding. The view from the middle certainly is different. Although they were local shows it opened my eyes to a whole new world as an exhibitor.