2008 Signature Sale – Message From Jim and Jenny Taylor

The following message was sent to me by Jim Taylor regarding the Signature Sale:

Everyone seems to want to know how we feel about the sale and what the future holds for Signature Sale. This was the First Annual Signature Sale and there will be a Second, a Third, a Fourth, and so on. We have made this commitment not only to the breeders, the trainers, and the owners of Morgan horses, but to the Morgan Breed as a whole. We firmly believe there is a need for a venue of this type to be used as a market place for all Morgan enthusiasts.

We will continue to make every effort to create an event where both the consignor and the buyer will benefit.

We were very pleased with the group of horses offered this year and would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our consignors and buyers for helping to make our inaugural sale a success.

We are already working on the 2009 Signature Sale and looking forward to assisting you in marketing your Morgan horses.

SignatureSales
Jim & Jenny Taylor

\
2008 Signature Sale Stats:

• Saralin Royal Blue (horse)  Saralin Farm (consignor)  Rick & Lisa Howa (buyer)  $50,000 (price)
  • Uppercase Innovation (horse)  John & Claire Bagge (consignor)  Cynthia L. Fawcett (buyer)  $29,000 (price)
  • FRF Looking Glass (horse)  Jim & Linda Stewart (consignor)  Lynn Peeples (buyer)  $21,000 (price)
  • Merriehill Times Square (horse)  Merriehill Farm  (consignor)  Larry Sicard (buyer)  $15,500 (price)
  • DMH Dark Of Knight (horse)  Maggie Hood  (consignor)  Dragonsmeade  (buyer)  $9,500 (price)

Top 5 average$25,000

• Christina Dellarose (horse)  Linda Lee Langlois (consignor)  Dragonsmeade (buyer)  $8,500 (price)
  • PLS High Pine Mona Lisa (horse)  Joy & Paul Scala  (consignor)  Amos Yoder  (buyer)  $7,500 (price)
  • Final Judgement (horse)  William Filosi (consignor)  Dragonsmeade  (buyer)  $7,000 (price)
  • Groovy Girl   (horse)  Copper Beach Farm  (consignor)  Kim Swartz  (buyer)  $6,000 (price)
  • CBMF Art Of War (horse)  Copper Beach Farm  (consignor) Patricia Lloyd  (buyer)  $5,300 (price)

Top 10 average - $15,930

Average for all horses sold — $4,047.00

7 Responses to 2008 Signature Sale – Message From Jim and Jenny Taylor

1. Black Eye Beth says:

I think many people are interested in the outcome of the sale since it can be an indicator of the horse market overall. Although there are many variables that influence the bottom line, I was particularly interested in the buyer turnout and average sale prices. It is one indicator to whether I should continue any sort of breeding program.

2. KarenL says:

I would love to see sales like this do small things to raise a little money and awareness of the “unwanted horse” issue. So many horses, Morgans included, end up dumped at sale barns (not this sale or the other ones like it, but sales such as New Holland, PA’s) and ending up either needing to be rescued or ending up going to slaughter. I think that a small % of profit or an added consigning fee that’s designated to go to legitimate rescue operations would do a world of good. Can we save them all? No. Should that keep us from trying to save even a few? Thanks!

3. Black Eye Beth says:

Karen, That is an interesting thought and one that I will think about as a possible project for AboveLevel.com. Do you have any specific ideas?

4. Mocha Mom says:

Perhaps, in additon to more rescue operations, we need educational efforts to encourage responsible breeding. I think that the average sale price and lack of buyers in attendance at the Signature Sale speaks volumes about the market for Morgan horses. These large breeding farms seem to me to be a lot like puppy mills, with the plethora of auctions in the role of mall-based pet stores. Add to that the lack of slaughter houses, which I actually have no objection to, as long as they are monitored and operated humanely, and we are going to end up with Morgan horses starving to death.

5. two Oh two says:

Ouch. I understand what the last comment is trying to say. However, I don’t think it is fair to liken larger breeders to puppy mills. Puppy mills thrive on greed – breeding nameless, faceless dogs kept in HORRIBLE conditions & profiting on the countless offspring. Larger Morgan breeders love & treasure their broodmares and studs as much as any other Morgan enthusiast. They provide incredible care for these animals. These breeders are in no way getting rich off breeding horses. Are they guilty of breeding more horses than the current market can handle? That is possible. Are they the equine equivalent of a “puppy mill”? Absolutely not.

6. Mocha Mom says:

Fair enough. I’m glad to know that the large breeders are taking good care of their broodmares, but what about the offspring? Just what is the point of producing so many horses? I’m even willing to concede that greed and profit are not the motivation, but have they given any thought to the long-term consequences?

I have never thought of it this way before, but perhaps, in this day and age when fewer families are in a position to have and care for horses, before any of us put a horse on the ground, we have to consider whether or not we’re willing to care for that animal for the rest of it’s life, rather than hope that someone else will take it off our hands and out of our checkbook. Perhaps I have been guilty of the same thing that I suspect large breeders are doing, but on a smaller scale. Perhaps we all want to breed the next World Champion, with no outlet for those that don’t make the grade. I have put two horses on this earth in the last four years, and I’m thinking that that’s enough to be responsible for.

7. Black Eye Beth says:

I agree with your thoughts on proceeding with the breeding, or not breeding, as the case may be. I really enjoy having a baby around and the thought of making money on it. However, the chances of that are getting smaller and smaller.

It’s a double edge sword. The industry needs to produce nice horses but it also needs to control the population to some extent. Like you have said, it all comes down to that responsible breeding thing. I am not sure the large breeding farms are the problem, though. I assume that they have been able to be more selective in what mares they do breed as opposed to many smaller breeders that breed what they have available (at least that is what I have always assumed, I could be wrong since I have one particular person in mind). In any event, it is everybody’s problem since the market value of horses is going down and the price to keep them is going up.