Attending the Signature Sale?

I was planning to go to the Signature Sale this weekend in order to report about it for those not able to attend.  I have never been to an auction and was looking forward to a new experience.   However, my broodmare had other plans and  decided that she did not want to have her baby on time (see “My Shout It Out for Tonight: Just Have It Already” for THAT story) so I am going to be home on ”foal watch” duty.

I would really love for some of you that are able to go (and don’t have an OBSTINANT mare at home) to take a few photos and/or give us, the less fortunate, an overview of what you experienced.   I am sure it will be quite an event and I am disappointed I can’t make it.

Any contribution you can make would be great!

(editor’s note: For comments from Jim and Jenny Taylor and the Sale Stats see “Signature Sale – Message From Jim and Jenny Taylor” – 4/8/08)

10 Responses to Attending the Signature Sale?

1. Karen Smith says:

I attended the last hour minutes of the sale. I have not seen such an upscale auction since getting a personal glimpse of the Keenland yearling sale more than 20 years ago. (This tells you that my auction experience is very limited.) In that short time, my family and I spent about 20 minutes of that actually watching the auction. In that time, I saw one horse “no-saled” for a bid of less than $1,000 and another sell for a bid of $41,000. Sales prices were all over the map. We mostly saw saddleseat horses, a few driving horses, and only one western horse. The park/country pleasure horses were all very pretty. I didn’t like the way the western horse was forced into that crippled looking western pleasure frame. (But then, I dislike the “dead horse walking” type of western pleasure horses in any breed–and I ride western.) The rest of the time we wandered up and down the aisles and drooled over the horses still there. A lot of very fine horseflesh, but most of it that I saw was of the modern Morgan type (looks much like American Saddlebreds to my eye), not much of the stockier, compact, old-fashioned Morgan type.

For those who were there on Saturday evening, there was a 4-H tack auction going on in the cattle arena at the Clark County Fairgounds. Some good deals were to be had.

2. Black Eye Beth says:

I read in one of the Yahoo groups that the prices were all over the place, and from what I gathered from other conversations (and from your post) a lot of that was on Sat. night. I also heard that there were some $40,000 and $50,000 “No Sales”…I wish I had enough money to No Sale something at $50,000!!!!

Thanks for the update!

3. Black Eye Beth says:

Did any of you out there buy any horses? Would love to hear about it and, if so, congrats!!!!

4. Black Eye Beth says:

Did anybody else receive a catalog today, Monday? I happen to live near Memory Lane so I got one directly from there but I didn’t get a mailed one until today. I just that was strange and wondered if other got theirs late.

5. Karen Smith says:

We picked up a catalog at the sale (I don’t remember getting one; but then I don’t remember what I had for lunch last week, either). I did like the reference photos and would have much preferred to see photos of the actual horses being sold. Nor do I like the photos of horses “as a weaning” and the like. If someone is selling a mature (i.e., adult) horse, then show a recent picture of that horse, not a baby picture.

Color printing within the brochure would have been nice, but full color printing is very expensive and I fully understand the decision to go with monochrome printing.

Overall, I thought the sale was a class act–and I only saw a small bit of it.

6. Karen Smith says:

Whoops! I should have proofread my post before sending it. I did NOT like the reference photos in the sales catalog.

Sorry about that!

7. Karen Smith says:

No, I didn’t buy any horses. I didn’t even realize there was a sale going on until after the tack auction, which I did attend because my elder son is in 4-H and was obligated to put in a couple of hours helping out. The auction benefitted 4-H.

After the auction, we wandered over and peeked through the windows to see what was going on. (Nosy, aren’t we?) The many Morgan themed horse trailers parked outside the Champions Center clued us in.

8. kad says:

Well,I must confess – I did buy a horse. I had absolutely no intention of buying a horse when I went. My only purpose for heading down was to ride a hunt horse through for someone else and I can home with a horse. I went Friday evening, I made it down there just in time for the auction to start, took a seat in the front row and the next thing I knew I was bidding on a horse. The first few horses went through for next to nothing and they were NICE. I said to my friend that if this kept up I may end up buying a horse. As I sat and watched a 2 yr old stud colt (just what everyone needs) came marching down that rail and before I knew it the hammer went down and I had bought a horse. I had never even seen him in the catalog, let alone in his stall or anywhere else. Luckily for my impulsive self he has turned out to be absolutely gorgeous and for far extremely talented and athletic. My husband seems to be taking it well (he’s going for some version of a saint or something for putting up with me).
    The sale seemed to offer a variety of quality horses for just about any budget. From what I remember the prices ranged from under $500 all the way up to an incredible $50,0000! What a weekend. All was very well orchestrated and I hope that next year the calalogs make it in time so others can attend and enjoy!

9. Black Eye Beth says:

Congrats on your purchase, KAD. That is exciting! Anybody else make a purchase??

I am glad to hear that there were some nice horses going through and that there was some higher prices toward the end of the sale. (Most of my info came from the beginning of the sale, plus my filly was born Sat. evening so I was a little preoccupied!)

Many people (including me)are watching these last few sales closely as it can be an indicator of the future of the horse market in general. Although I am not personally impressed with the prices many of the horses went for (certainly not anybody’s fault, just the status of the economy right now), it is nice to know that there are still some going for high dollars.

10. VICKIE says:

Can anyone provide a list of the sale prices?

I cannot believe what I have heard about low, low prices.

who sold for 50,000 and who sold for 500?? Is anyone out there concerned that a wonderful Morgan is selling for slaughter prices??

I sure do not want to sell mine like that.